Upgrading from Debut III

T

TSuellentrop

Audiophyte
I have had a Pro-Ject Debut III since about October as my first TT. After sending it in from service I have been informed the retailer where I bought it at is going to give me a giftcard back for my purchase price since they could not fix it.

I was running it through a Marantz PM5004 and a pair of B&W 685s.

Looking to upgrade to a better TT and it looks like it will have to remain a Pro-Ject. I'm looking to spend around $1,000 and have seen good things about the RM-5.1 SE. The only thing that it pushing me away from that is looks like the Blue Point No.2 is a MC cartridge and the PM5004 has a MM input. I could buy a PhonoBoxII but then that puts me a bit over what I wanted to spend. Any suggestions?

Tim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have had a Pro-Ject Debut III since about October as my first TT. After sending it in from service I have been informed the retailer where I bought it at is going to give me a giftcard back for my purchase price since they could not fix it.

Looking to upgrade to a better TT and it looks like it will have to remain a Pro-Ject. I'm looking to spend around $1,000 and have seen good things about the RM-5.1 SE. The only thing that it pushing me away from that is looks like the Blue Point No.2 is a MC cartridge and the PM5004 has a MM input. I could buy a PhonoBoxII but then that puts me a bit over what I wanted to spend. Any suggestions?

Tim
What on Earth could go wrong with a turntable that could not be fixed?

I would like at a good vintage turntable. Try and get a Thorens TD 125 with and SME arm. Kit it out with an Ortofon Black and you will be set.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
^ I have no idea what he just said, but what he said :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Tim
I'm curious as to what broke and why it cannot be fixed. It sounds suprsingly odd.

If you are to remain with Project, look at the Xperience or the RPM-5. Both are very solid turntables and the tonearms on them are of a much bettr valibre than what wwas on your Debut. I have the Xpression II (replaced by the Xpresion III) .

V

valvesnvinylfan

Audioholic
I used to own a Blue Point MC cart and it's a doozy. Being a high output MC, it will work perfectly into your MM stage in the Marantz amp as it was designed to work with standard MM phono stages, so no worries at all.

Happy Listening!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis