Upgrading amplifier need help

B

bp333

Enthusiast
Hello AV Experts,

Currently I have Yamaha RXV665 pumping power to Polk Monitor 70 (fronts), Polk CS1 Series II (Centre) and Definitive Tech Satellites (Rears) and Def-Tech Sub in a 5.1 set-up.

I am thinking of buying Onkyo TXNR808, do you think I'd see the difference in extra 35 Watts (Yamaha 90W/Channel compared to Onkyo 135W/C)

Please suggest.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I'd just hold on to your money for a significant upgrade with either speakers or sub. I assume the 665 has preouts. Therefore, if it's power, just add an amp, whether 2ch, 3ch, 5ch, etc, IF* you need it.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Jostenmeat has it spot on. The 45 watt increase in stated power is not going to make much of difference (if it even measured a 45 watt difference). Since your receiver does have preouts, if you feel you are lacking power, an amp would give you more power for the $ than a new receiver would. Speaker/sub upgrades would also be a great option.

I would only look into buying a new receiver if the new model had features you were interested in that your current receiver did not. As long as you are purchasing a model that has preouts, the internal amplifier section becomes a non-issue, since you can just use an external amp to remedy any lack of power.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I agree with the others. Put the money into speakers or an amp.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis