"Upgrading" 16bit wav to 32bit?

C

chadi

Audiophyte
Hey guys, I have a simple question for you. So I have soundforge and it has an option to "upgrade"/"downgrade" sound files to higher or lower bitrates. 16, 24, 32 bit.

I ripped a song unto my computer as a 16bit wav which is the highest you can rip at and I opened it in soundforge and upgraded it to 32bit before saving it. Other than taking up a great deal more space, does it actually improve sound quality in any way shape or form, even if it isn't noticeable?

Thanks!

Chadwick

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Does not improve the sound quality at all, but if you're going to *modify* the file, it allows you to modify at a higher resolution and lose less information each time you transform the waveform.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
You can't add information that wasn't already there in the 16-bit version.

C

chadi

Audiophyte
Thanks for the answer guys!

I'm also assuming then that if I rip a song from the cd at 48khz 1536kbps it isn't any better than at 44khz 1411kbps? Am I correct?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm also assuming then that if I rip a song from the cd at 48khz 1536kbps it isn't any better than at 44khz 1411kbps? Am I correct?
The music on an audio CD is 16/44.1 PCM, which yes does equate to 1411 kbps. You cannot 'rip' it any other way - just as you technically don't rip to MP3.

The audio will be extraced as 16/44.1 because that is what it is - but the program you use to do the digital audio extraction may have options to change it to another format on the fly.

If you're ripping CDs to build a digital library you should save the WAVs as-is and then convert to whatever format you want after the fact. I save the WAVs on an external drive and then transcode to MP3 and save them on another drive. I always have the original uncompressed WAV and from it I can make any format I want. It is a slow process with SF but it's what I prefer because I find that sometimes it is necessary to make minor edits to the files.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
If you're ripping CDs to build a digital library you should save the WAVs as-is and then convert to whatever format you want after the fact. I save the WAVs on an external drive and then transcode to MP3 and save them on another drive. I always have the original uncompressed WAV and from it I can make any format I want. It is a slow process with SF but it's what I prefer because I find that sometimes it is necessary to make minor edits to the files.
OT, but why do you store as WAV and not use a lossless compression method like FLAC?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
OT, but why do you store as WAV and not use a lossless compression method like FLAC?
Because hard drives are cheap and I don't want to wake up one day and find that a decoder for whatever lossless format I chose is no longer available (even though that may be low risk). A WAV file is raw PCM so will never ever become unreadable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis