N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
Over that last several months I have replaced all my gear listed in my sig. except for my speakers (please don't hate on the Klipschs) and thought I would share my joy. Below is a quick impression on my new gear.

Pioneer PRO950HD 42" plasma - By far the best improvement out of everything I bought, and my old Panny 34" CRT HDTV was no slouch. I picked up a fair amount of screen size, but the picture on this set really blows me away, completely impressed.

Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver - Very nice unit. Wanted something simple but heavy duty, this unit seems very well built and functions nicely. This system is HT only, I have a separate system for music, I don't need ipod docks, XM radio, 100 DSP sound fields, every bell and whistle, etc. This fit the bill nicely.

SVS SB12-Plus subwoofer - I was very limited on space where this has to fit and was impressed with all the feedback I read here on SVS. So far this has worked well, I don't have it completely dialed in yet because I am waiting for my custom cabinet to be built before I can move the sub to it's permanent location. Thanks for the recommendation j garcia!

Toshiba A35 HD payer - Oh well, I guessed wrong on the format. Other than the minor fact that there won't be any new content this has been a great machine. HD looks great, up converts well, haven't had any problems or bugs. I have only bought one HD disc (planet earth) and continue to get HD discs from Netflix, so I will wait for the BD players to settle down and purchase one of them.

This is a great forum, I don't post often, but read here almost every day, and I have learned a ton.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Over that last several months I have replaced all my gear listed in my sig. except for my speakers (please don't hate on the Klipschs) and thought I would share my joy. Below is a quick impression on my new gear.

Pioneer PRO950HD 42" plasma - By far the best improvement out of everything I bought, and my old Panny 34" CRT HDTV was no slouch. I picked up a fair amount of screen size, but the picture on this set really blows me away, completely impressed.

Rotel RSX-1057 Receiver - Very nice unit. Wanted something simple but heavy duty, this unit seems very well built and functions nicely. This system is HT only, I have a separate system for music, I don't need ipod docks, XM radio, 100 DSP sound fields, every bell and whistle, etc. This fit the bill nicely.

SVS SB12-Plus subwoofer - I was very limited on space where this has to fit and was impressed with all the feedback I read here on SVS. So far this has worked well, I don't have it completely dialed in yet because I am waiting for my custom cabinet to be built before I can move the sub to it's permanent location. Thanks for the recommendation j garcia!

Toshiba A35 HD payer - Oh well, I guessed wrong on the format. Other than the minor fact that there won't be any new content this has been a great machine. HD looks great, up converts well, haven't had any problems or bugs. I have only bought one HD disc (planet earth) and continue to get HD discs from Netflix, so I will wait for the BD players to settle down and purchase one of them.

This is a great forum, I don't post often, but read here almost every day, and I have learned a ton.
Just curious, why go with a beefy amp when you have Klipch speakers? I thought Klipch were easy to drive speakers UNLESS you are planning on futur speaker upgrades.

N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
3db,
You are right about the klipsch, the RF15 is rated at 96db @2.83 volts/meter sensitivity, i don't know if they have any wild impedance swings that might make them a little tougher to drive though.

Of course I will have to upgrade my speakers sometime in the future, but that will have to wait for a while. The klipsch are the newest part of my "old" system at 2 - 3 years and I need to get some more use out of them before I go down that road. For now the power reserves certainly don't hurt, and I do have a lot of concert DVDs that I like to play loud.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
3db,
You are right about the klipsch, the RF15 is rated at 96db @2.83 volts/meter sensitivity, i don't know if they have any wild impedance swings that might make them a little tougher to drive though.

Of course I will have to upgrade my speakers sometime in the future, but that will have to wait for a while. The klipsch are the newest part of my "old" system at 2 - 3 years and I need to get some more use out of them before I go down that road. For now the power reserves certainly don't hurt, and I do have a lot of concert DVDs that I like to play loud.
But, that sensitivity is most likely in an anechoic chamber. In room will be at 99dB or 100dB spl/1w/1m. Even wild impedance swings will not matter with that sensitivity:D
And, with a future speaker upgrade, you may need yet another amp:eek:

N

NapaDRB

Junior Audioholic
Mtrycrafts,
The Rotel was mainly bought for its ruggedness, built like a tank, five year warranty, etc. and simplicity. As mentioned this is a HT system only, all my video is run straight to my display, so I don't need video processing in my receiver or all the bells and whistles you find in most receivers now. So far this has worked really well for me and I am completely happy with it.

Thanks for the replies.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis