Upgrades for Klipsch Heresey speakers?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I received a call from someone who bought a home that had a pair of these speakers in a book case. He asked if I could check them out because he thought they sounded garbled and not very clear when he compared the smaller speakers he had. He's not an audio geek like some of us, so make/model info isn't at the front of his mind and I don't know what he has, yet. Having read that some of this model came in a 4 Ohm configuration and I'm not sure if this is true- I have seen a schematic with an autoformer for the mid and they may have thought this could change the overall impedance. I'll check the DC resistance later but when I listened to them, I didn't hear garbled but the high frequencies aren't particularly extended and I used an RTA to check the response- above 16K, it fell off like a car going over a cliff at 30 MPH. I also did a sweep test and other than a slight buzz in the mid-bass from one of the pair, I didn't hear anything begging for mercy and I doubt he'll hear it when listening to music.

Having read several threads about these and seeing recommendations for cap replacement, adding something to deaden the horns, there's really not much inside that can be changed, although replacement diaphragms are available. Well, other than gutting them and replacing everything and that's clearly not the best way to go.

Thanks.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Prioritize your restoration project. Start with the most critical aspects.

Cap replacement should be high on your list. You could replace the entire networks, but it's the old caps that are out of spec that cause issues. Some of the old Klipsch farts prefer PIO to keep the vintage sound, while other prefer the lower esr (not to mention cost) of polys, which are a bit less forgiving. Don't fall for any audiophoolishness with the cap choice, this should not be an expensive mod. It's more maintenance than modification.

While you're in there, check the cab's integrity. You could put some dynamat on the horns if you like, not sure it will do much, but maybe.

I don't recommend more extensive mods (different drivers, completely different types of networks) as they become more of an unnecessary re-engineering project IMO, and will reduce the speakers' resale value. Heresy speakers in good cosmetic condition will fetch several hundred dollars.

Even in top form, they won't extend much above 17khz. Nor will they dig deep, dropping off ~60 hz (at least they're sealed, so the roll off does have useful output below that...they like corners). But they should be quite dynamic in between. They're fun. They're an easy load, can be driven with about anything.

HERE is a useful resource for your Klipsch aftermarket needs. (No affiliation. Bob's a straight shooter.)

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Prioritize your restoration project. Start with the most critical aspects.

Cap replacement should be high on your list. You could replace the entire networks, but it's the old caps that are out of spec that cause issues. Some of the old Klipsch farts prefer PIO to keep the vintage sound, while other prefer the lower esr (not to mention cost) of polys, which are a bit less forgiving. Don't fall for any audiophoolishness with the cap choice, this should not be an expensive mod. It's more maintenance than modification.

While you're in there, check the cab's integrity. You could put some dynamat on the horns if you like, not sure it will do much, but maybe.

I don't recommend more extensive mods (different drivers, completely different types of networks) as they become more of an unnecessary re-engineering project IMO, and will reduce the speakers' resale value. Heresy speakers in good cosmetic condition will fetch several hundred dollars.

Even in top form, they won't extend much above 17khz. Nor will they dig deep, dropping off ~60 hz (at least they're sealed, so the roll off does have useful output below that...they like corners). But they should be quite dynamic in between. They're fun. They're an easy load, can be driven with about anything.

HERE is a useful resource for your Klipsch aftermarket needs. (No affiliation. Bob's a straight shooter.)
I have seen Bob's site for years, but had no reason to do anything with Heresy's until now. I know Klipsch went to a Titanium diaphragm in a later version, but they don't have replacements in stock. I'm not sure the owner of these will want to spend much on them- when I asked how bad they sounded, he said the smaller speakers in another room were a lot more crisp and clear-sounding, so he may just stick a fork in them and not bother. I haven't learned enough about him, his wants/needs and hearing ability to know what to recommend and he's out of town until next week, so I'll ask more questions and find out what he was driving them with. It may be a real POS receiver.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
I think the first step would be to have your friend put his ear to the tweeters of both speakers to see if they're both working. If they are, then it may just be the horn-loaded midrange that he doesn't like. I doubt that replacing caps will make a significant difference. I've restored a lot of vintage speakers, and I have yet to find one that had seriously out-of-spec caps.

highfigh

highfigh

I think the first step would be to have your friend put his ear to the tweeters of both speakers to see if they're both working. If they are, then it may just be the horn-loaded midrange that he doesn't like. I doubt that replacing caps will make a significant difference. I've restored a lot of vintage speakers, and I have yet to find one that had seriously out-of-spec caps.
I have them and listened yesterday, as well as using my RTA app to see if the highs were dumping early (close enough for Jazz and I have compared it to my separate mic/laptop/RoomEQ Wizard to get an idea of whether it's worth bothering with). I haven't seen where they were placed- it's possible that the tweeters are shooting over his head completely but it's also possible that he actually needs hotter tweeters in order to hear the highs. I used to call Heresys 'Sonic Lasers' because it always seemed like my ears were being burned out but most of the ones I have heard were in bars, where the bartenders had free reign over the equalizer, which was set for Happy Face or just had the highs ramped upward. I listened to a wide range of music and they're not terrible for music with little content in the highest range but it was interesting to do the frequency sweep and hear the sound stop while it passed the point where it just doesn't produce sound as it approached 20KHz (which was the upper limit I had set in the tone generator app) and then hear it return as it became audible again.

WRT out of spec caps- it's easy enough to test for response now and I prefer to find out what a speaker is doing before hauling out the parts cannon. It's such a simple design that there's not much that can go wrong but I may remove the mid and HF diaphragms to see if they have been overheated.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi Dennis, great to have your input. It's kind of humbling when such knowledgeable peeps drop in.

As for the caps, I would say 'it depends.' Some of those old military surplus caps that Klipsch used way back when still measure great. Some others they used over the decades, not so much. My experience is far, far less than yours, but I've personally seen both of those situations with the old Heritage speakers. If the caps are showing their age, new ones certainly will make a difference (which, if prominent mids are an issue, would actually be a step in the wrong direction!)

Of course that only matters if highfigh's friend decides to keep and tinker with them.

Kind of OT, but Dennis, were you ever able to wring acceptable to you performance from the SEOS thingie you were working on a while back?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis