Upgrades for Denon 3805

C

chrisdogmlb

Audiophyte
I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the Denon AVR-3805 to a 3806 to get the Audyssey instead of the old EQ that comes on the 3805. I heard that the audyssey gives a broader sweat spot for listening to movies. I was wondering if there is a flash upgrade or if the components are internal only to upgrade.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Chris,

To the best of my knowledge, Denon does not do upgrades on it's 3000 and under series AVR's. The manual eq in the 3805 is pretty flexible. Have you tried tweaking it by ear?

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
chrisdogmlb said:
I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade the Denon AVR-3805 to a 3806 to get the Audyssey instead of the old EQ that comes on the 3805. I heard that the audyssey gives a broader sweat spot for listening to movies. I was wondering if there is a flash upgrade or if the components are internal only to upgrade.
The Audyssey on my 3806 works pretty well, but it's not a night and day kind of thing. In fact I prefer to watch movies with EQ turned off. I would say that a seamless front sound stage is the most noticeable difference Auto EQ does for my system, and also it's a tad less bright. Room treatments usually make a night and day differences though. For me, I need to get my butt in gear and buy some base traps.

Nick

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
chrisdogmlb said:
When I first purchased the 3805 that I once owned, I was amazed by how well the one-position (mic) automatic speaker callibration worked. Unfortunately, my 3805 developed a problem and I returned it for a 3806. The 6-position (mic) Audyssey callibration on the 3806 did a worse job than the one-position 3805 technique in my home theater (and I tried a variety of mic positions with none producing as good of a sound field as I obtained with the 3805). Finally I tried just one mic position (the main listening location) with the 3806 and once again obtained the "same sound" quality that I obtained with the 3805. As such, if it were me, I wouldn't worry about upgrading to the 3806 just for the 6 mic position Audyssey speaker set up.

E

eirepaul

Audioholic
I've owned the 3805 for two years and was not impressed with the auto EQ. But then again, I don't believe in over-equalization. If you have to use a lot of equalization to get a "good sound" you probably need better components or room treatments. I preferred to use the manual EQ for minor tweaks, which was helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis