Upgraded into a corner...

R

RoadKill666

Enthusiast
Have a very very VERY old Sony sony kdl-60w850b (2011) and finally decided to bite the bullet and so today I just bought an LG C1 55" OLED TV.
Once I got it set up is when I realized I can't hook up my subwoofer or my speakers because the C1 only has inputs for HDMI, USB, and Optical out.

I have the Audioengine A5+ Speaker System and an Audioengine S8 Subwoofer. I called my friend who had a C1 and he said he had to get a receiver.
Having just spent $1600 I wasn't prepared to have to spend another chunk to get a receiver. I researched what was the cheapest receiver I can possibly get that still had all the gaming requirements I need so HDMI 2.1, more than one 4k/120 HDMI so I can run both XsX and PS5, VRR, ALLM, ect. and I came up with the Onkyo TX-NR5100 for $599. What do you think?

This is a bedroom set up by the way.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While I feel like you could just connect the sources directly to the TV and use the optical output of the TV into a much cheaper receiver if you wanted to you have an issue...

The bigger issue in that your speakers are fully powered. So, what you really need is just a way to get audio out of the TV in some usable format for the speakers. Maybe something like an HDMI ARC audio converter with integrated volume control. An AV receiver is designed for non-powered speakers and to provide them amplification as well as full surround sound decoding in a 5.1 or similar system, which is not at all what it sounds like you have, and your speakers are wrong for this.

If you just need stereo audio analog output from the TV with volume control, maybe this is the way to go:
I just bought this, but haven't tried it out yet...

This will get your stereo audio for your speakers, and it should allow the TV to control the volume of the device.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
you could one of few ways here:
a) get the HDMI extractor bmx mentioned. you'd also need an RCA splitter cable(s) to run audio to your sub.
b) your tv has optical out so you could get a small DAC with sub out like this one. The benefit here is higher quality DAC and low-pass for subwoofer out.
c) adding your gaming consoles, depends on how many HDMI inputs your TV has. If you want to go full-blown receiver for the bedroom I'd recommend this instead of onkyo

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
b) your tv has optical out so you could get a small DAC with sub out like this one. The benefit here is higher quality DAC and low-pass for subwoofer out.
Did you have a link to that DAC? I was avoiding a optical to analog DAC because you lose volume control from the TV remote which I think would be a bummer for keeping operation as simple as possible. But, I haven't seen all this world has to offer of course. Would like to see what you were thinking of here.

R

RoadKill666

Enthusiast
While I feel like you could just connect the sources directly to the TV and use the optical output of the TV into a much cheaper receiver if you wanted to you have an issue...

The bigger issue in that your speakers are fully powered. So, what you really need is just a way to get audio out of the TV in some usable format for the speakers. Maybe something like an HDMI ARC audio converter with integrated volume control. An AV receiver is designed for non-powered speakers and to provide them amplification as well as full surround sound decoding in a 5.1 or similar system, which is not at all what it sounds like you have, and your speakers are wrong for this.

If you just need stereo audio analog output from the TV with volume control, maybe this is the way to go:
I just bought this, but haven't tried it out yet...

This will get your stereo audio for your speakers, and it should allow the TV to control the volume of the device.
I'm confused how can I hook them up to the TV directly using optical when the speakers don't have a port for optical? Also I get what you're saying about the receiver supposed to power and speaker but these speakers take power from the wall and i planned on just running their red and white rca cable to the to the receiver so the receiver didn't have to power them at all.

I have the S8 sub going into the old tv but there's a port on the A5+ so I think I can run sub to that and then used the option in your link.

R

RoadKill666

Enthusiast
you could one of few ways here:
a) get the HDMI extractor bmx mentioned. you'd also need an RCA splitter cable(s) to run audio to your sub.
c) adding your gaming consoles, depends on how many HDMI inputs your TV has. If you want to go full-blown receiver for the bedroom I'd recommend this instead of onkyo
Looked at that receiver but it only does 4k/60 and not 4k120.

R

RoadKill666

Enthusiast
OK So I don't need a receiver at all as I realized the ports on the new tv do 4k/120 so i don't need a receiver that has more than one 4k/120 port when the tv does so I'll be good without a receiver at all. The hdmi extractor looked like the best option but a little bummed about losing controlling the volume with the tv remote. someone suggested this and I think i won't lose tv volume control with this right?

What was confusing me was the tv using 2 hdmi ports at the same time. If i have the converter/adapter in the hdmi 1 port, and the xbox in hdmi 2, and ps5 and hdmi 3, if I select hdmi 2 to play xbox, the tv is still gonna use hdmi 1 for the audio? Going from such an old tv I'm sorry this is confusing me so much. in my old past i was thinking I needed the hdmi extractor for each console and then using a 1 to 2 optical link splitter so each console could send audio to the tv via the optical. This new stuff has me more LOST than Season 6!!!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
OK So I don't need a receiver at all as I realized the ports on the new tv do 4k/120 so i don't need a receiver that has more than one 4k/120 port when the tv does so I'll be good without a receiver at all. The hdmi extractor looked like the best option but a little bummed about losing controlling the volume with the tv remote. someone suggested this and I think i won't lose tv volume control with this right?

What was confusing me was the tv using 2 hdmi ports at the same time. If i have the converter/adapter in the hdmi 1 port, and the xbox in hdmi 2, and ps5 and hdmi 3, if I select hdmi 2 to play xbox, the tv is still gonna use hdmi 1 for the audio? Going from such an old tv I'm sorry this is confusing me so much. in my old past i was thinking I needed the hdmi extractor for each console and then using a 1 to 2 optical link splitter so each console could send audio to the tv via the optical. This new stuff has me more LOST than Season 6!!!!
Most new TVs have one HDMI port labeled HMDI/ARC which stands for Audio Return Channel. That port can be used to play audio back to the connected device (typically an AVR) without the need for a separate optical audio cable.
Beginners guide on HDMI ARC.

EDIT: That device won't give you volume control. The HDMI out is usually a fixed signal so that the AVR controls the audio. I think the standard also requires ARC support on both ends. I don't know if an HDMI converter without ARC would still pull the audio from the TV. I think that's why the optical device was mentioned above. I don't see line level outs on that SMSL optical DAC, though, just speaker outs. You need either an optical in to RCA out converter or an HDMI to RCA converter with ARC supprt, but again, remote volume is an issue. Have to give this one more thought.

An AVR seems a waste as you will not be using the amps, unless you go pre-out to your powered speakers and use the AVR amps to run surrounds. If you are strictly 2.1, a pre-amp with HDMI ARC in would be ideal. What does the remote for the A5+ do? If you set the volume knob up high, does the remote turn the volume down? If the speakers have remote volume then a fixed optical signal from the TV will be ok.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I stand corrected again, that was a wrong suggestion. sorry. Guess I'm not very focused today.
Has the optical input, remote for volume control, and 90hz high pass out (for subwoofer)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm confused...

I have the S8 sub going into the old tv but there's a port on the A5+ so I think I can run sub to that and then used the option in your link.
USE THIS: https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Support-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B0919Y12B3

The HDMI to composite adapter is completely wrong.

The $400 Emotiva piece is nice, but is another large component which really doesn't do anything more than what the $25 ARC audio extractor with volume control passthrough piece does.

I certainly would spend $25 with a good return policy over a $400 product if all I needed was to pass analog audio to a couple of speakers.

@BoredSysAdmin - Do you see any reason why a HDMI ARC w/volume pass through DAC wouldn't work properly?

CONNECTIONS:
HDMI(ARC) TV --> HDMI of DAC
RCA (DAC) Left/Right RCA --> Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 RCA Input
Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 Speaker Output --> Audioengine A5+ Speaker #2 Speaker Input
Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 RCA Output --> Audioengine Subwoofer Input

This is exactly how I would do it, the DAC hides behind the TV or is easily slipped into the system, and volume is controlled by the TV remote easily.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@BMXTRIX - I don't see how a $20 device from amazon with free returns could be a risk :)
and your connect plan is accurate.
I was just providing an alternative

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
USE THIS: https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Support-Digital-Coaxial/dp/B0919Y12B3

The HDMI to composite adapter is completely wrong.

The $400 Emotiva piece is nice, but is another large component which really doesn't do anything more than what the $25 ARC audio extractor with volume control passthrough piece does.

I certainly would spend $25 with a good return policy over a $400 product if all I needed was to pass analog audio to a couple of speakers.

@BoredSysAdmin - Do you see any reason why a HDMI ARC w/volume pass through DAC wouldn't work properly?

CONNECTIONS:
HDMI(ARC) TV --> HDMI of DAC
RCA (DAC) Left/Right RCA --> Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 RCA Input
Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 Speaker Output --> Audioengine A5+ Speaker #2 Speaker Input
Audioengine A5+ Speaker #1 RCA Output --> Audioengine Subwoofer Input

This is exactly how I would do it, the DAC hides behind the TV or is easily slipped into the system, and volume is controlled by the TV remote easily.
Nice find. I was wondering if there was an HDMI to RCA audio adapter with ARC support and not too big a gamble at that price.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
@BMXTRIX - I don't see how a $20 device from amazon with free returns could be a risk :)
and your connect plan is accurate.
I was just providing an alternative
I like options for sure. I really didn't know if you had any actual knowledge of what I proposed not working. I personally haven't tried it, so I always am looking for feedback and personal observations from others when they have it.

Using a receiver, as you suggested, works as well. So, yeah, options are definitely good. I'm always looking for that 'cheaper' solution when possible. Just a bit of a 'fingers crossed' that it will work perfectly what with CEC being so questionable. Also, the fact that the unit I linked is only HDMI compatible, but I'm not sure that will be an actual issue since it is only stereo audio that is needed.

Freaking cool if a $20 solution works. I really need to test it out as I definitely have a number of use cases. Specifically where I can use the 'smart apps' built into my TV and take audio out of the TV back to a whole home audio setup. I will set the volume of the whole home setup to 0dB (more or less) when the room powers off and the audio and volume for the TV will be controlled through the TV remote at all times. BUT - When they want to see/hear a whole house audio/video source, it will then work through their iPad for volume.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis