Upgrade to PSB T45s

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
I recently was looking around for surround speakers for my son. While I was in a B&M store looking at possibilities for him, I happened to pass by some PSB T45s, and they WOW'd me. I have an Axiom setup at this time and I was wondering if anyone thinks the T45s are an upgrade from Axioms M22s?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'd say more of a step to the side. I really like PSB products, I own a full PSB setup in fact, so I'm making my bias known from the start. You do know that those 22's are bookshelfs right? Big bookshelfs, but bookshelfs none the less. Compared to the T45's they are smaller, and will require stands. I am wondering though, is this a surprise for your son or does he know about it? If he knows you really are better off including him in the purchasing decision. Did the dealer have a sub on while you listened to the T45's? Makes a big difference to how low the speakers will play. Also would it be possible for you to order the 22's and give them a trial vs the T45's right there at the dealer? Axiom has a free trial period and no questions asked return, so the very worst case is you'd be out about $20 or $30 shipping. You would also know which speaker your son likes the best. Both of these companies are Canadian and have very solid reputations. I'm sorry if I'm not much help, so much of speaker listening is subjective. For myself, or anyone else, to tell you that product A is better than product B when both are well made products that appeal in different ways is misleading.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I cannot comment on the Axiom 22s

I have a pair of Image T45s and I'm more than pleased with their performance. For music, I run them with out the sub because they are strong enough in the bass to play most music. The only exception is music involving a pipe organ.
I use a sub when using them in HT for the added punch. I can highly recommend these. Here's a link to a review that I gave them,

http://audioreview.com/mfr/psb-speakers/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_329036_1594crx.aspx

Takereasy made some valid points about taking your son along to see what he thinks of them. It may not be his cup of tea

L

littleb

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
I'd say more of a step to the side. I really like PSB products, I own a full PSB setup in fact, so I'm making my bias known from the start. You do know that those 22's are bookshelfs right? Big bookshelfs, but bookshelfs none the less. Compared to the T45's they are smaller, and will require stands. I am wondering though, is this a surprise for your son or does he know about it? If he knows you really are better off including him in the purchasing decision. Did the dealer have a sub on while you listened to the T45's? Makes a big difference to how low the speakers will play. Also would it be possible for you to order the 22's and give them a trial vs the T45's right there at the dealer? Axiom has a free trial period and no questions asked return, so the very worst case is you'd be out about $20 or $30 shipping. You would also know which speaker your son likes the best. Both of these companies are Canadian and have very solid reputations. I'm sorry if I'm not much help, so much of speaker listening is subjective. For myself, or anyone else, to tell you that product A is better than product B when both are well made products that appeal in different ways is misleading.

I've had the Axioms for a couple of years. I heard the PSBs minus a sub. My son has already made a purchase. I've asked the dealer before if I could bring in my speakers to compare, but they weren't very receptive.

J

jasoncorrie

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the review. I have been researching the PSBs and have been impressed with the reviews. I haven't heard any yet. I want a good system for both music and movies, but don't have a lot to spend on it. I have started with an onkyo 601 receiver, and an onkyo DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player, and am very pleased. How do you think the PSB T45s will do along side this receiver? How does Paradigm compare to PSB? I will likely build the HT in steps with a good PSB center channel next, and then to the surrounds and the sub. I have a kenwood HTiB sub now which does ok.
Or can you recommend a good speaker set to put with this receiver for around $1000?

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
jasoncorrie said:
Thanks for the review. I have been researching the PSBs and have been impressed with the reviews. I haven't heard any yet. I want a good system for both music and movies, but don't have a lot to spend on it. I have started with an onkyo 601 receiver, and an onkyo DVD/SACD/DVD-Audio player, and am very pleased. How do you think the PSB T45s will do along side this receiver? How does Paradigm compare to PSB? I will likely build the HT in steps with a good PSB center channel next, and then to the surrounds and the sub. I have a kenwood HTiB sub now which does ok.
Or can you recommend a good speaker set to put with this receiver for around $1000?
Wheres Jaxvon to give his tried and true under $1000 system?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, my $1000 system is everything for a 5.1 setup. For under $1000, you can pick up 5 Acoustech speakers (for around $720), then add on a high-quality subwoofer, such as the Cadence X-Sub, and still come in under budget.

Of course, if horn tweeters aren't your thing, there's always my favorite system, which would be a setup of 2pr. BIC DV62si bookshelves, a DV62CLR center, and a sub of your choice. This setup would run $360 for the speakers without the subwoofer. If you wanted some extra output, you coulld do 3 DV62CLRs across the front, and this would run you about $486 without a subwoofer. I don't know if you'd need this though, as the DV62 bookshelves can play LOUD, and they're fairly efficient too.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB vs Paradigm

jasoncorrie said:
To my ears, the PSBs Image series are a better speaker than Paradigmns Monitor series. Some say the T45s are not as detailed as the Monitor 7 because they are not as forward sounding as the Monitors. That being said, I found more detail in the PSB, more nuances heard than the monitor 7s but it took a little longer to realize. They are not a bright sounding speaker. I like to have to listen for the music and not have it pushed in my face. Thats my preference but its not everyone' cup of tea. They also beat the monitors for imaging and for tightness of bass. I'm not the Monitors are bad speakers. I just prefer the sound from the PSB image series better

The T45s are an amazing speaker. Although they are rated nomimally for 6 ohms, I know they don't dip below 4 ohms. They are also efficient so it doesn't take much to drive them . I have them being driven by a cheap technics receiver (next upgrade) and its not having any problems driving them. Your onkyo will have no problems

J

jasoncorrie

Audioholic Intern
I have a personal connection to a dealer, and can get the t45s for around $400/pair, and the center for $200-300. The other speakers carry like discounts. Does this position make it a no-brainer, or are these other low-cost options listed above still worth looking into. I guess they would still be less expensive than the PSBs, but how is the audio going to compare? Extreme differences?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
No brainer

If you can get the T45s for 400, thats a deal. Nothing can beat them for that price,,,nothing at all

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That is a good price. The t-45's are great speakers. Do yourself a favout though and go listen to some paradigms, monitor audio, etc.. Very nice speakers as well, and all sound different. I suggested 6t's to someone before, and they hated the sound compared to some paradigms. I picked my 2b's over several other brands that I auditioned because the sound was for me. People can debate that amps all sound alike but not many people will argue that all speakers sound alike. My taste and 3db's tastes are very similar, but many would argue that other speakers in the same price bracket sound better. All I can tell you is PSB speakers are well built and highly regarded for the price. Your ears need to tell you what to spend your money on as corny as it sounds.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis