S

styrbjorn

Audioholic Intern
I'm hoping to get some feedback on just how far up the ladder to climb in upgrading my system, which probably doesn't drive my speakers like it should.

I'm about 60/40 music/video so top-notch sound (and whatever DAC's will make Pandora sound as good as possible) will be important. Might eventually get a turntable and bust out the vinyl collection, so I want to future-proof for that too.

I'm currently running a 3.1 configuration with the following:
B&W 804S fronts
B&W HTM61 center
eD a5-350 sub
Sony BDP-CX690 400-disc BluRay/DVD/CD changer
** Pioneer Elite vsx21txh receiver
** Sony 50" LCD TV (old, will be replacing this year)

I'm liking what I see about the Oppo BDP-105 for playing better movies/music (including streaming) but want to get an AVR (or preamp-amp setup) that won't adulterate the music, and will also handle the home theater portion of the task.

Obviously I'd like to spend wisely, but my price constraints aren't too tight (can see dropping $4-6K pretty easy, more if warranted). So my questions:
1) Does it make sense to upgrade the receiver, and how high up the line should I be looking? Looking at Pioneer Elite Sc-67 but could go bigger on a preamp-amp as well.
2) Can I get decent audiophile sound and good HT without setting up a completely separate 2.0 system?
3) If I do go with an AVR, would it still make sense to go for a dedicated amp, or would taht just get redundant?

I am just getting started on the research phase of my upgrade, so any guidance is welcome.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It doesn't hurt to get an AVR + amp combo.

Are you using room correction or any DSP mode or EQ?

What is the issue with your current system? The SQ doesn't sound as good as some other speakers or sustems you've recently heard?

I doubt spending $4K on AVR or amps will drastically improve the SQ.

S

styrbjorn

Audioholic Intern
Thanks AcuDefTechGuy

I'm using the MCACC that came with the VSX21 - which seems to produce pretty good SQ both in and out of the sweet spot.

One reason I'm looking into newer stuff (like the Oppo) is I'd like wireless streaming and top-notch DAC's, but I agree I'd rather spend (a lot) less than $4K if the SQ isn't going to improve much. The current SQ very nice(although the same speakers on McIntoshes at the HT store sound even cleaner). In fact, since this is my first audiophile setup it's the best home SQ I've had. Just wondering if I can make it "go to 11" as it were.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Try to bypass the Room Correction. I think you may get cleaner sound. Try it out.

DAC is so matured now that I doubt you could hear a difference. So I would not waste a dime on DAC.

The Oppo does not have Amazon Prime Video streaming, but it has Netflix. I use both Amazon & Netflix, so the Oppo would suck for me. My Panasonic BD does both Amazon & Netflix.

Also, what does your room look like? Curtains, drapes, carpets, rugs, soft sofas & pillows?

What is the room size and ceiling?

Last edited:
S

styrbjorn

Audioholic Intern
Thanks again - I will play with the room settings. Good info on the DAC as well. I currently stream Amazon, Netflix and Pandora straight from the TV (it's on an ethernet connection) with mixed results - seems like picture starts pretty chunky then improves, and music sounds good but not as good as CD (predictably, I suppose).

I have an oddly shaped room - about 12' deep and 23' wide, 8' ceilings. with an opening into a dining area on the right and an angled entry on the left (facing the system). Hardwood floors and hard walls across from the speakers, with two sofas at 45 degree angles (V-shaped facing the TV/stereo) and a fireplace in the middle along the rear wall. Hope that makes sense... Anyway it's a pretty big room to fill.

B

Beatmatcher247

Full Audioholic
Let me recommend mog.com over pandora.

Pandora's (Free) Bitrate: 128 kb/sec
Pandora's (premium) bitrate: 192 kb/sec (doesn't sound any noticeably better to me than their 128)
Spotify (Mobile Devices): 128 kb/sec all the time
Spotify (Non Mobile Devices): "Up to 320 kb/sec"
Mog.com: The only one that sounds close to actual 320 kb/sec to me

Listen to them all yourself and form your own conclusion, but to me hands down, mog.com stands head and shoulders above the rest in sound quality. Pandora premium or free, sounds way hot in the low and midbass imo.

My streamed music sounds a lot better but I still think it can be better. I think that a USB soundcard /dac could improve things in my case vs. over the HDMI on the video card.

I'd look at different streaming services and treatments for your room if you think that it is problematic before spending more money on your gear.

So unimpressed with Pandora though. What will make Pandora sound good? Getting rid of Pandora.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do have WMA Lossless files on my network, but most of the time I just stream MP3 from my iPad to my AVR and it sounds great to me.

So my HTPC or Media player isn't even on when I listen to music - just my AVR & the iPad. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Let me recommend mog.com over pandora.

Pandora's (Free) Bitrate: 128 kb/sec
Pandora's (premium) bitrate: 192 kb/sec (doesn't sound any noticeably better to me than their 128)
Spotify (Mobile Devices): 128 kb/sec all the time
Spotify (Non Mobile Devices): "Up to 320 kb/sec"
Mog.com: The only one that sounds close to actual 320 kb/sec to me

Listen to them all yourself and form your own conclusion, but to me hands down, mog.com stands head and shoulders above the rest in sound quality. Pandora premium or free, sounds way hot in the low and midbass imo.

My streamed music sounds a lot better but I still think it can be better. I think that a USB soundcard /dac could improve things in my case vs. over the HDMI on the video card.

I'd look at different streaming services and treatments for your room if you think that it is problematic before spending more money on your gear.

So unimpressed with Pandora though. What will make Pandora sound good? Getting rid of Pandora.
mog.com sounds like a good idea, but $10/mo is a bit steep. I'd want it on my mobile device, and that means the $10 plan is the only one I could get. Oh well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis