Upgrade from Bose Cubes

L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
I have a 17-year old surround sound system. I have a Yamaha RX-V1500, Bose Cubes, and Sonance "The Sub" subwoofer.

I am considering upgrading the Bose Cubes. Any suggestions or lists of reviews to get started? I would like to keep the budget to under $200 each speaker (or $1,000 total).

I am limited to a smaller form factor for the surround speakers (TV is built in and speakers/wiring can't be moved without extensive remodeling).

I haven't researched AV gear in forever. Do most speakers now not have a mesh cover on the front?

L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
What are "monitor" speakers? Is this what I want for all 5 surround sound speakers (studio monitors)? Should the center speaker be different?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Can you give a description of the room and where you can place speakers. Are you looking for 3.1 or higher in your setup? The speakers that LTHD recommended are a tremendous value and grills are easy to come by for that design.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I am limited to a smaller form factor for the surround speakers (TV is built in and speakers/wiring can't be moved without extensive remodeling).
The Focal Bird will be a clear step above the Bose cubes -- and they come with brackets for wall mounting -- when you add to the cart it should take another 20% off.
Focal Bird -- sold each
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalbirdeablka/focal-bird-5.5-2-way-compact-satellite-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What are "monitor" speakers?
Monitor speakers are typically Active (short version is each has it's own amplifier and needs connection to power.
Is this what I want for all 5 surround sound speakers (studio monitors)?
I know some folks which used monitor speakers for HT. They are typically great speakers (starting from about $150 each, like JBL LSR305. The cons are they absolutely require low level inputs, which means your receiver must have multichannel pre-outs - yours receiver does have these.
Should the center speaker be different?
Ideally no, but you should really keep it in vertical/standing up way. Most folks go with specially designed center speakers, since vertical standing speakers won't fit under the TV. Also you should aim to have all speaker's tweeters be at your ear height.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think you are asking about the AA monitors. In that case, ignore what BSA just said (although he is generally correct). The AA monitors are normal speakers and they come with grills (at least mine did).
I would suggest you get the AA monitors for your fronts and the Birds for your surrounds. However, if you need to wall mount all of your speakers, the AA monitors are rather large/heavy and rear ported (so must have at least a couple of inches clearance behind them).

L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
The audio world has really changed in the last 17-years. See attached photo. Speakers can't be too much larger and can't be powered.

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you are asking about the AA monitors. In that case, ignore what BSA just said (although he is generally correct). The AA monitors are normal speakers and they come with grills (at least mine did).
I would suggest you get the AA monitors for your fronts and the Birds for your surrounds. However, if you need to wall mount all of your speakers, the AA monitors are rather large/heavy and rear ported (so must have at least a couple of inches clearance behind them).
Ok, I didn't realised the question was more specific to AA monitors. In this case, do disregard what I said above. AA monitors are from function standpoint are regular (bit larger) bookshelf speakers.
I think Dennis called them as "monitors" since they play more accurately and neutrally than most other bookshelves in their price point thus makes them more suitable in budget recording studios where speakers used to monitor the recording.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
These speakers are very nice for the money http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html. Maybe a bit large for surrounds.

Not sure what you mean by mesh covers, most just use a fabric grill, many remove them for use.
I think these would be great although I don't think they're too big at all, and will be immeasurably better in every way than the bose cubes.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The audio world has really changed in the last 17-years. See attached photo. Speakers can't be too much larger and can't be powered.
The Focal Bird can work for you

There is also the Focal Little Bird
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focalltlbirdeablka/focal-little-bird-4-2-way-ultra-compact-speaker-black-each-new-atmos/1.html

Also the Monitor Audio Radius 45 -- sold by pair
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_893R45W/Monitor-Audio-Radius-45-Walnut.html?tp=186&awkw=148041882745&awat=pla&awnw=s&awcr=78533416465&awdv=c&awug=9013383

L

Linda Barzini

Enthusiast
The Philharmonicaudio speakers might be a little big. The problem is the left speaker is in the stairwell. I have knocked that speaker off many times carrying things.

Since my Sonance subwoofer died, I'm thinking the RSL CG3 5.1 kit might be a good option.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Philharmonicaudio speakers might be a little big. The problem is the left speaker is in the stairwell. I have knocked that speaker off many times carrying things.

Since my Sonance subwoofer died, I'm thinking the RSL CG3 5.1 kit might be a good option.
If it fits your form-factor needs, that is an excellent option for the price!

In case you missed it, AH did a review:
http://www.audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/rsl-cg3-cg23-speedwoofer-10s-loudspeaker-system-review

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis