drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Hello friends,
I'm considering ways to upgrade my HT system and I'd like to share my current setup with you and get some directions on which components should be upgraded to get any audible enhancements.
My setup:
Paradigm Monitor v7 series speakers (Monitor 11 fronts, Center 3, Surround 3) and 2 Ultracube 10 subs.
Marantz AV7005 pre-pro.
Anthem MCA5 power amp.
Marantz CD6005 player.
Pioneer PL530 turntable.
Med8er 1000X3D streamer.
Denon DBP-2010 player.
All connected with Blue Jeans cables.

Thanks!

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Blu-Ray player perhaps? What screen you have? What you hope to achieve with the upgrades?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Assuming you are streaming your 5.1 material, I think you should add a good subwoofer first to improve your movie enjoyment. Then the front speakers (try just L,R first), follow by perhaps a better phono cartridge but I don't know what you have now so it is hard to say. If your power amp is still in top operating condition then you are all set after the sub, front L,R and cartridge upgrade.

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Blu-Ray player perhaps? What screen you have? What you hope to achieve with the upgrades?
I actually have a BD player I forgot to mention (I added it to the list now).
The screen is a Panasonic 3D LCD from their mid-level but I'm planning to buy the 8000 projector and a good projection screen.
Anyway, I was asking about the audio quality upgrade in case it wasn't clear :)

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Assuming you are streaming your 5.1 material, I think you should add a good subwoofer first to improve your movie enjoyment. Then the front speakers (try just L,R first), follow by perhaps a better phono cartridge but I don't know what you have now so it is hard to say. If your power amp is still in top operating condition then you are all set after the sub, front L,R and cartridge upgrade.
Interesting. I didn't think the Monitor 11 v7 are the weak link, especially since they are compared with previous generations of the Studio series which are considered high-end, but I accept the comment.
Regarding the cartridge, I'm using the AT440ML. I'm wondering whether moving to a belt-drive turntable will truly make a difference.

drumace

drumace

Audioholic Intern
Hows your room?
My room is not yet treated acoustically. I'm not planning any special materials hanging on the walls or bass traps since it's a living room I'm sharing with the rest of the family but I know I have to add a thick carpet, canvas paintings on the walls and some curtains on the windows.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My room is not yet treated acoustically. I'm not planning any special materials hanging on the walls or bass traps since it's a living room I'm sharing with the rest of the family but I know I have to add a thick carpet, canvas paintings on the walls and some curtains on the windows.
Look up some of the articles on room acoustics on this site. Absorption is the last step!

Your speaker placement: toe in, distance to wall behind speaker, flooring, distance to wall behind listener, room dimensions and much more, are the first things to address before you plop down a dime on 'treatment' or better speakers.

All the resources are here, give yourself an education and you will have a superior listening experience.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. I didn't think the Monitor 11 v7 are the weak link, especially since they are compared with previous generations of the Studio series which are considered high-end, but I accept the comment.
Regarding the cartridge, I'm using the AT440ML. I'm wondering whether moving to a belt-drive turntable will truly make a difference.
Subwoofer is definitely top on the list but relative to your AVP, Amp, the Monitor 11 are the weak link for sure. If you want to stay with Pardigm, your electronics are good enough to match up with the Signature S6s.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sub first.
If you listen to Paradigm Signature series and listen for high frequency clarity and extension, you will definitely hear the improvements. Expect improvement across the board, but it was the high frequency improvements that sold me on upgrading from Studio series to Signature Series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is your goal?

Better bass? Midrange ? Treble? More dynamics?

What are your room dimensions?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Paradigm recently upgraded their speaker line and got away from the Studio name (Reference Series - Prestige Line) I have heard them and they are a nice step up from what you have, but depending on your budget, subwoofers will be the least expensive upgrade for improvement.

But if you are happy with bass, take ADTG's questions to consider what you would like to see as improvement, give us your room dimensions and we can best address your questions

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Your turntable and cartridge may be old but I think they are good enough for the rest of your electronics, assuming the stylus is in good shape. So again, a good subwoofer will get you most improvements. After that it really should be the speakers. No one is saying anything bad about the monitor line, but the Studio/Reference and the Signature lines are much better.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Your turntable and cartridge may be old but I think they are good enough for the rest of your electronics, assuming the stylus is in good shape. So again, a good subwoofer will get you most improvements. After that it really should be the speakers. No one is saying anything bad about the monitor line, but the Studio/Reference and the Signature lines are much better.
Minor correction. OP has already dual subs setup. he should upgrade both.
This pair gets my vote since it's not a dedicated space and sub's size is probably a consideration.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2Dual.html

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis