Updated, my 2 Channel system!

G

Gabor25

Audiophyte
I have been an avid "Audiophile"since 1971 during my first year of college.Bought my first crummy system for about $150 and it sounded terrible except for the 8 track built in. That source was not too shabby.
Since then, I have been through quite a few systems which included some decent equipment like a classic Dual turntable,PSB 700s from the early 1908s and the usual Japanese made receivers and speakers from the 1970s and 80s including Yamaha,Technics,Sanyo and Harmon Kardon.

From around 1998 to until recently my system consisted of some "low end" Anthem separates,Paradigm Studio reference 100 speakers(those were superb!),and a Sony ES Mutli CD disc player (year 2000).

Well ,we recently sold our big house and my goal was to "downsize" my components in size and weight but upgrade the quality a bit.

I have been going to the same local retailer for 25 years.He carries a lot of high end stuff now and some "medium" priced components.

I know it's not politically correct but if I can,I avoid Chinese made components....(yeah many times it's unavoidable )

So I traded all my "old" stuff in, EXCEPT for the Sony multi disc player which remains outstanding.I'm too lazy to put all my music on a digital format playlist...

Initially I got a Hegel H80 integrated amp and found out it was made in China.
With the advice if my esteemed and discount friendly dealer,purchased the new McIntosh MA 252 integrated amp.Very pleased with it.You can even personalize the inputs to any name you like.Right now we have "CD Player" and "Sonos" so my wife can use the system easily instead of turning on her tinny sounding kitchen counter box radio!

This is paired with a set of Paradigm Prestige 75fs in piano black to match the color of,of course out baby grand piano.(Cheers again from the better half!)

i've owned a number of other Paradigms over the years.These have a bit different sound.Not so muddled,but they are so distinct that they show the weakness of poorly mastered CDs.Many of those I got in the 1980s and a lot are now unavailable.
Some titles show up on LP re issues.I have abandoned the LP resurgence.Again just too lazy to flip the disc and no matter what rice crispy noise will still be there in some form or other.

Another addition is a Musical Fidelity MX Dac,which was recommend to enhance the Sonos streaming sources .

All in all,a neat little system,not really overpriced the fits in with our modern decor...

Gabe

IMG_0557.JPG
IMG_0557.JPG

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Nice system! Love the amp. I have a pair of 75F's (mid-night cherry) anchoring my home theater set up in the living room (powered by an Anthem MRX 520). The 75F's are a nice speaker, a little short on the low end, but coupled with a sub set up with ARC they sound awesome.

Just wondering if your dealer had any of the Persona's and if you gave them a listen. The 3F's are the next logical upgrade from the 75F's. I've auditioned them twice and love their sound.

Enjoy your new system!

G

Gabor25

Audiophyte
Yeah,I forgot to mention I did add a Monitor 12 inch Paradigm sub to enhance the bass.
He did not have any Personas in at the time.As I was looking for a smaller floor standing speaker,the price of the Personas was too high for my budget.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
I understand.....they're outside my budget right now as well. My living room is small (1400 cubic ft), so I went with a Monitor 8 Paradigm sub which is more than sufficient for the size of the listening space. I find the dispersion on the 75F's to be fantastic. You can be way off axis and still get a really good image.

[My money is currently going into a desk top system I'm putting together for my office. So far I've got a Marantz HD DAC-1 headphone amp/DAC connected to a PC via Audioquest Carbon USB, a pair of Oppo PM-2's and a pair of Beyerdynamic T 1's. I've been waiting for a Cyrus CDt transport to come from England. They were waiting for the castings they use for the housings to come from Switzerland and are now a little behind on assembling units (made to order). When it arrives next month it will come with an Isotek Evo3 Polaris power filter, 2 Wireworld Aurora 7 power cables (one for the Marantz and one for the Cyrus), and a Straight Wire Mega Link digital coaxial cable.]

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Nice. I would think that is quite a bit better than a "neat little system" I too have been into audio since the 1970's but didn't get serious until I went to running NAD and Thorens components into some DCM Time Windows. Nowadays I am just running some decent stuff but not on the level of your equipment. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm very impressed and maybe a little jealous. :)
Dave

G

Gabor25

Audiophyte
Thrones were pretty "high end"back in the 70s.
Look at other web sites like audiogon and audioafecionado.Those guys systems start in the $20K range!!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thrones were pretty "high end"back in the 70s.
Look at other web sites like audiogon and audioafecionado.Those guys systems start in the $20K range!!
Yes but it was an entry level Thorens from the early 80s. It was equipped with a Dynavector DX3 MC cart which to this day might be the best sounding phono cart that I ever heard. Running through NAD electronics into some DCM Time Windows was Audio Nirvana to me back in the day. Still my current 90s Rega Planar 3 is probably a better TT but it has an entry level Rega cart and no Time Windows. Still all in all I'm pretty happy with my current system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis