UPDATED: Mark L. Schifter, PLEADS GUILTY to suspicion of charity fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NewOrlnsDukie

Audiophyte
So do you have to pick it up on site? Couldn't find anything about shipping.
I wouldn't mind getting a mfw 15 for 20$ :D

Heck couple of those desks looked pretty good to.
Well, when you apply to be a bidder, they also ask for a shipping address.

As for the price of shipping, I saw nothing in the fine print about it.:(

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
It sounds like the buyer is responsible for making packing and shipping arrangements separately from the auction, likely through a local shipping store. Gotta factor in both costs (packing and shipping) unless you can pick it up yourself.

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Yeah, but at least this time you would actually be paying for something.

N

NewOrlnsDukie

Audiophyte
LOL at the last 2 posts.

I always found the delivery charges to be quite amazing. IIRC I had to mortgage my house for my LS-6 shipping cost ;)

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
Yeah it doesn't seem worth while unless you live nearby.
Just wanted to check with you all and see if I missed anything about the shipping.

Thanks all,
ChunkyDark

K

kazinvan

Audiophyte
Mark Schifter was very good at lying. I can see why people like Danny and Mark Seaton worked for him. I'm embarrassed to tell this story, but WTF, who cares.

I retired from the Navy a little over two years ago. Way before MLS was exposed for the POS con-man he is. A couple of months before I retired MLS posted that business was growing so fast he couldn't keep up with it and was looking to hire a couple of people to help with the demand. I actually did a couple of searches on house prices near Longmont, and discussed the possibility of moving there with my wife. I ended up finding my current job before things progressed past a a few Internet home searches and some talk about about it with my wife.

Now, I wasn't your typical Kool-Aid drinking, "frothing at the mouth" MLS nut-hugger. With minor exceptions I posted on three sub-forums over there:

1. What are you listening to
2. The beer thread
3. Cigars/Pipes

I rarely posted elsewhere, and always avoided the "fanboy" threads. Never had any interest in it. I like music, beer and cigars, and that comprised 99% of my posts.

I did go to the N.C. GTG and met Quadman (and his wonderful family), Derek, and Bill. They seemed as normal as I'd like to think I am, and never once did I suspect anything was wrong with the company. Hell, Mark Seaton was there to demonstrate the BMF (unfortunately broke in transit). We had a nice chat about the sub, his ideas on the perfect subwoofer and some upcoming projects. He certainly didn't act like any of the forum "loonies". The X-Static Danny designed was there and sounded wonderful, and the Minis were sounding pretty good connected to an Onix tube amp. At the time I thought Mark Schifter had some kind of secret mojo and I wanted to be a part of that.

Looking back to that time, I never saw anything out of the ordinary. If I had I certainly wouldn't have entertained the idea of working for him. Danny had a killer product on display, and Mark Seaton was one of the coolest designers I ever talked to. MLS was a no-show even though he said he was coming.

In the end I'm glad things turned out as they did. I'd be deeply embarrassed to be somehow related to this, and it looks like Danny and Mark didn't get to F-d over too badly by him. Thank goodness.

I guess what I'm trying to say is nobody should EVER say anything negative about Danny or Mark for their involvement with AV123. They were victims of the lies just like I (very easily) could have been.

Slush
Slush,

Your story mirrors mine in many ways. A few years ago I purchased a house and set off building a home theater. I stumbled upon AV123 and started researching the offerings. I was looking at several things at the time but they seemed to have a good value for money and I ended up buying an X-series setup for my room. At the time, I may have been one of the first to get the MTM and SLS towers. Regardless, I was happy with my purchase and still use them today (though upgraded by Ninja). I also went on to buy RS450s for a stereo rig and Ref1's (which I have since sold).

I was happy with the speakers, and became active in the forum. I went to the NW GTG, met MLS, Seaton, and a bunch of forum regulars. At the time, all was well, everyone was having a good time discussing not just HT but everything else as well.

I won a coupon for a BMF, $500 off if I recall. Was very happy but there is no way that sub would work in my room so I sold it in the forum at a discount. At the time, the BMF was 'just around the corner'. I used the money towards my set of RS450s. I felt worse and worse as the months dragged on and no BMF. I felt like I stiffed the guy that bought it, a follow Canadian to boot. In the end, I think he ended up making some kind of deal with MLS. Regardless though, not a great situation.

Like many others, I was swept up in the raffles. They seemed like such great causes that I participated in many of them. The prizes were always good too, and MLS always gushed about both sides. I knew the chance of winning wasn't great but given that the money was going to a good cause made that moot.

Over time, I saw that promised products never got finished (BMF, X-Plosive, RSL II, many others). Worse yet people gave MLS money for these items based on his promises and with the overall glowing support from the forum.
I also saw that the reliability of the products was suspect, especially the subs. These were not being dealt with very well, and users were left with dead equipment for months.

Eventually, the negativity on the forum seemed to overshadow all of the positive threads and discussion. There was a temporary closure which turned into a very long closure. I lost interest at that time and despite the forum re-opening I didn't go back beyond a couple of posts.

I finally read about the charges against MLS and was stunned to realize that he stole from the very people who supported him. There is a special place in hell for guys like this. I was lucky and only participated in raffles, losing a few hundred dollars to the crooked ways of Shifter. I feel bad for the guys who lost thousands and even worse for the people and charities who were supposed to benefit from the generosity of the forum members but didn't see a penny.

I'm glad it's over, at least for me. I'll follow the story to see if justice is done but like many other times I think I'll be disappointed.

gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
If you haven't already seen it, Chu posted some instructions for submitting an impact statement for use when Mark is sentenced in October, including some recommendations on what the statement's focus should be. Since you contributed to the raffles, you are qualified to provide such a statement if you like.

K

kazinvan

Audiophyte
If you haven't already seen it, Chu posted some instructions for submitting an {I can't post links yet} for use when Mark is sentenced in October, including some recommendations on what the statement's focus should be. Since you contributed to the raffles, you are qualified to provide such a statement if you like.
I'll look into it, thanks. I just checked Paypal and I made 13 payments totaling $570 to MLS. Not the end of the world, and money well spent had it gone to the organizations stated in the raffles.

K

kazinvan

Audiophyte
Skeeter, what happened with your xamps. Did you get them fixed or send them back?

S

skeeter99

Junior Audioholic
Skeeter, what happened with your xamps. Did you get them fixed or send them back?
I sent those suckers back probably less than a week after I got them. The hiss was WAY too audible!

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
Same here with the X-Head. That was actually my warning sign that he was going to desperate measures and just selling us any junk he could find from anybody who would sell to him. I really didn't realize just how much trouble they were in until I witnessed the x-amp release. Cheap as cheap does. Right then was about the same time he started announcing he had come up with an even better solution for the HR kit. After personally hearing the x-head, reading about other x-amps, I decided to get out of line for the HR kit and that was my last official dealing with AV123.

S

sandbagger

Audioholic Intern
Jed

you still have your UFW-12?

I am about to have the amp only upgrade out:D

Jed M

Jed M

Full Audioholic
I actually have both, but one of the drivers blew over a year ago and I just didn't feel like dumping anymore money into them. I quit using subs altogether when I got my LS-6's as the UFW were completely overshadowed and the MFW-15's, IMO, just aren't very musical and sounded really sloppy integrated with the LS-6's. They always just sounded like a one note chump that could hit hard. So here I am with 3 out of 4 working subs and I am not using any of them (gave my parents the MFW-15's. Some "gift", huh?). The only sub I do use is my ULW-10 with my Ref 3's, but I am sure its just a matter of time before that amp dies again. The UFW-12's were disappointing when they came out and I can't imagine why I wouldn't just start over with all new subs in today's highly competitive market then try to fix a past its prime half assed one. That being said, I would be interested in hearing more about your amp upgrade, but I am probably moving away from all AV123 products in the future instead of trying to enhance them, with the LS-6's being the exception.

That may not be want you want to hear Kevin, but I do like reading about what you are working on. I wish you the best with all the swords you have in the fire right now. Who knows, depending on the details I may buy one of your new amps, but right now I need time to let the idea digest as anything AV123 related at the present time makes me a little sick. :D

N

NicolasKL

Full Audioholic
Who closed down the wetpaint site to edits? I was looking forward to months and months of people editing in funny comments e.g:

Driver: Custom designed low excursion, high distortion 15" woofer with 2.5" VC
Amplifier: Whatever we have laying around in deep storage..
Cabinet: 25mm & 18mm MDF with plenty of bracing, loose and stripped screws, veneer issues

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Someone posted over at AVS that the cost of shipping (packing, handling, etc.) a single MFW to NY (Brooklyn I presume) was $335. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis