Upconverting the Wii?

C

Corpsman

Audioholic Intern
I am reading up on my Sony DA3100ES and it seems it can take composite video outputs and convert them to component video. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice for me?

C

Corpsman

Audioholic Intern
OK so I hooked the composite input from the Wii to the back of my receiver and the component out from the receiver to the TV. The signal is there, but there is a lot of noise in it. I went into the Wii setup menu where I can change from 480i to 480p, but the 480p option is unselectable. It is as if it knows that it is outputting to composite. I do have a bad HDMI input on the TV so maybe the composit input is just bad and that is why I have so much noise.

If anyone has any experience, please let me know.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
I am using a component cable directly to the TV, then audio running to the AV. I know its not what your asking, but it something ;).

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I am reading up on my Sony DA3100ES and it seems it can take composite video outputs and convert them to component video. Does anyone have any experience with this or advice for me?
It wouldn't be necessary. The Wii has component outputs.

C

Corpsman

Audioholic Intern
The thing is, my receiver is able to take a signal from S-Video or composite and output the signal to component video. So I currently have the Wii going out to the receiver through composite to the receiver and the receiver going out to the TV with component. The problem is, the Wii will not let me change the setting to 480p. I was hoping there was a work around for this, but there isn't. So I went ahead and ordered an off brand component cable for $8.00. I think the receiver will clean the signal up if I run it through th receiver, but who really knows.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
The thing is, my receiver is able to take a signal from S-Video or composite and output the signal to component video. So I currently have the Wii going out to the receiver through composite to the receiver and the receiver going out to the TV with component. The problem is, the Wii will not let me change the setting to 480p. I was hoping there was a work around for this, but there isn't. So I went ahead and ordered an off brand component cable for $8.00. I think the receiver will clean the signal up if I run it through th receiver, but who really knows.
The single composite video cable does not have the bandwidth capabilities to carry the 480p signal to the receiver. Even when the receiver upconverts, it basically just changes the format of the signal... technically it really doesnt do the "upgrading" i think you're expecting anyways. Much Much better off getting the component Wii cable if you want the highest quality signal. once the wii recognizes the component out, 480p will be selectable from the menu.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis