Upconversion available via television circuitry?

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR630, which I am really enjoying. The only feature it did not have is upconversion to component video of all sources with OSD. Composite, S-video, and component can only be viewed in their native formats, and no OSD available for component. This lack of OSD is not a problem for me, since I can view the receiver for the information. However, the lack of upconversion is a bit of an inconvienience.

My current TV is an analog 32 in Sony. My next purchase will be a 50" DLP or projection LCD, I imagine. Does any manufacturer make a unit that will automatically detect the type of source and display that without having to select the input type (on the TV)? By that I mean that if my receiver sends composite, the TV will display that, but if I change sources on the receiver and now send S-video to the TV it will automatically be detected and displayed by the set?

I hope I am making myself clear. Thanks. :confused:

D

docferdie

Audioholic
Not built in to a television but I believe this is the functionality that you are looking for.

DVDO iScan HD High Resolution Video Scaling Engine

http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_ishd.html

Thought about getting it to consolidate my devices but the price is just too prohibitive.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
If I understand your question correctly, you're going to run multiple output signals from your receiver to your TV. If so, then you would just change input modes on the TV for the different sources....ie input 1 would be component, 2 s-video, etc.

Mort

R

radaray58

Audioholic Intern
Docferdie's suggestion will accomplish what I'm looking for, and a whole lot more than that. But the price is indeed prohibitive.

I can manually switch between inputs with my current set. What I'm looking for is a TV that will autodetect all inputs then select the best source. Some of the higher end receivers will upconvert to component so you don't have to switch the TV as well when you change from DVD to Cable, for example.

It's really not a big deal to do the manual switching. It just seems that this should be an easy thing for a manufacturer to build into a higher level TV set. The receiver manufacturers seem to be getting it (although Harman doesn't offer it unless you get their AVR7300 which was well out of my price range).

Thanks for your suggestions. Ray.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis