Unsure of the connection on my surround speakers

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
I just got two Phase Tech DBS-SUR surround speakers to go with my PC 9.1's and PC 3.1 Series ll. There is a square plug or cover on the speaker connection and I am not sure if this comes off ( I hope so ) or have I got something I can't use?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm sorry, but I can't find any information on those Phase Tech DBS-SUR speakers on Google. Likewise, PC 9.1 or PC 3.1.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I just got two Phase Tech DBS-SUR surround speakers to go with my PC 9.1's and PC 3.1 Series ll. There is a square plug or cover on the speaker connection and I am not sure if this comes off ( I hope so ) or have I got something I can't use?
I did find the manuals but there are no rear pictures anywhere. You will have to post a picture,

If the connection is not convenient then change it. Just take the connection off and replace it with something you prefer and can use.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
The PC series use standard binding posts. I also cannot find the speaker he's trying to connect.

I will echo what TLS Guy has said, really need a picture.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
You are not screwed, although you will need a Philips head screwdriver. ;)

That's a BUS wire connector. It is probably very snugly fit into the port but it can be pulled out. This type of connector makes wiring for custom installers simpler/cleaner. It's will within the realm of compatibility. The markings on top of the connector indicate red for positive and black for negative as well as W for woofer and T for tweeter. Essentially the speaker is much like any other bi-wire capable speaker, only difference is the connector type. After you pull the BUS connector from the speaker you can use a screwdriver to loosen the screwhead and insert wiring. I'd recommend making short "jumper" wires (about 2-3" in length) to connect the woofer and tweeter together. I would take the wire coming from the receiver and wire it into the W side (positive and negative) and then run your jumper from the W to the T and make sure that your red goes to the other red and the black to the other black.

If you don't understand any part of this please ask before guessing, you don't want to risk damaging your amplifier/receiver by doing this incorrectly.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
I wish I had known about this before I purchased them. The upside is I got them for below $200. My PhaseTech pc9.1's and pc3 series ll are all 4 ohms as is this All I wanted to do was to get speakers that matched

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I had known about this before I purchased them. The upside is I got them for below $200. My PhaseTech pc9.1's and pc3 series ll are all 4 ohms as is this All I wanted to do was to get speakers that matched
It's not that big a deal to be honest, you can still use them. There's nothing stopping you from using them.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Here is the inside connections...
Did you not understand my post?

Pull the little green thing out of the back of the speaker. Run your positive wire from your receiver to the red connector on the side with the W on it. Run the negative wire to the black connector on the side with the W on it. Run a short wire from the red connector from the side with the W on it to the red connector on the side with the T on it. Run another short wire from the black connector on the side with the W on it to the black connector on the side with a T on it. That's it. You don't need to take the speaker apart.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
I'll take another look at it tomorrow but this may be over my head. I appreciater your time and effort.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I'll take another look at it tomorrow but this may be over my head. I appreciater your time and effort.
I agree with seth, you are making a mountain out of a molehill!

Those green connectors are VERY common, they just aren't as common for audio. And there are certainly advantages to that type of connection too.

I have lab equipment at work with these connections, they are nothing to be worried about at all!
In general, these connections tend to be very robust and can stand vibrations etc without coming loose.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
What I don't understand is how to connect the wire. The four screws on the bus connector turn but don't come out. I assume the wire has to go through where the screws are. I am 73 and not the most tech savvy person as I go back to Heathkits and Eico in my formative years.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
Thanks to my wife I or she finally figured it out. I am not only old but evidently stupid! Thanks for putting up with me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks to my wife I or she finally figured it out. I am not only old but evidently stupid! Thanks for putting up with me.
Hahaha. We all feel like that the very first time we encounter a technical task that we've never seen before! It's a great feeling when something that seems difficult at first becomes trivial in the end.

K

king2b

Audioholic Intern
Here is an update. These surrounds only work with the Phase Tech Dart system. I had a call this morning from Phase Technology and was told the crossover and design only with the Dart amplifier. Yes I can get sound out of them but only from the woofers. I did a Audessay setup and I heard sound on the left but on the right it was much thinner. Thought I had a phase/polarity problem so I switched the wires with no change. Hope I can find someone who can use this in their Dart system

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis