Universal Projector Mount

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hey everyone - really appreciated all the nuggets of info I have gleamed off this site so far.

So here is my question: What experience have people had with universal projector mounts.

I am building my dedicated home theater in the basement from scratch. Framing is done and I am starting electrical. I will be mounting a front projector midway back in the room. I currently have a Sony VPL-W400 (LCD) projector, but will be getting a new projector in a year or two (need to pay for construction first). I have installed bracing in the ceiling ~14 feet back as this seemed the most versital location for LCD or DLP mounting (based on calculation for 106" dia. 16x9 screen). I want to install a projector to the bracing to hang through the wallboard. I will then build a hush box around the projector with dedicated venting out of the room through the ceiling. The projector will need to hang enough to clear the ceiling in the front half of the room (which is a dropped ceiling to account for support beams holding up the first floor).

So, what experience have people had? Any recommendations on either company or specific product.

Requirements are:
Universal bracket
Adjustable height (lense will need to be ~8 below ceiling, ~10 from ceiling mount)

Thanks.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hello
Chief makes a universal projector mount and extension pole
part # UPA1002BW and UPA1003BW and UPA 1001BW
not sure if these will fit the unusual bolt pattern of the 400Q
but you can call to verify
http://www.chiefmfg.com/
I have one of these old but very good projectors tweaked to the max
it still holds up very well against newer models and when used with a good up scaling DVD player @ 1080i it can be very good I use it as a back up in one of my listening rooms. I made a DIY mount from 1 1/2" treaded pipe and
(2) 1 1/2" floor flanges screwed onto each end of the pipe then made a mounting plate, bolted that onto the floor flange and drilled the holes
for the bolt pattern of the 400Q Cost was about $20 but it has no pitch or
yaw adjustments so you need to get the projector alignment perfect

Hope this helps
RLA

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have considered the DIY mount, but am struggling with how to do the extension arm. Hense my desire to just purchase one, but wanted to get some feed back on people personal experience. Thanks everyone.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
1- 1/2" or 2" threaded pipe can be cut and threaded to what ever length want. Remember if you do go the DIY route the mount you construct needs to heavy duty this PJ weighs over 25 lbs I would also advise the use of a capture cable

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks, how do I thead it??

Also the reason for the universal will be future upgrades (will be getting a new projector within the next couple of years.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Bryce,

I have a Chief mount and some instructions:

1. The Chief mount comes with a threaded 2" plate that you bolt to your joists.
2. The Chief mount comes with a threaded 2" plate that connects to a plate that mounts to my projector (quick release!)
3. The Chief mount comes with the plate that attaches permanently to my projector.

4. I went to Home Depot and bought for about 20 bucks a piece of 2" steel tubing that they threaded IN THE STORE (free!) at the exact length I needed the tube.

Now, if I want another piece of 2" tubing a different length, then I go into Home Depot and pay them a few bucks to recut my left over tubing to the length I need and add threads. Easy.

Now, if I get a new projector, I just order a new plate to mount directly to the projector which will then quick connect to the 2" threaded plate above it.

Is it better than the new 'universal' mounts? Man, heck if I know... But, I figured I would just let you know my experience with my mount which I have been happy with. I would think the new universal mounts would work fine with your projector if it follows a 4 hole pattern, but you can likely e-mail Chief or the manufacturer of the mount you are looking at to verify that it works with your exact projector.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
BMXTRIX,
Thanks for the info. So the Chief comes with everything except the pole. Not a bad set-up.

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
You can get the adjustable pole from Chief if you want
The part numbers are in the first reply I wrote

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis