Ukraine – Russia … not more of the last thread

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Putin now says Russia is just getting started in Ukraine.

>>>LONDON, July 7 (Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Thursday that Russia had barely got started in Ukraine and dared the West to try to defeat it on the battlefield, while insisting that Moscow was still open to the idea of peace talks.<<<

The statement that Russia had barely got started in Ukraine may be true in one sense. This parody video comes to mind:

He also said that Russia would be backing off (last week) and now, https://news.yahoo.com/russia-says-losing-because-ukraine-104546288.html

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Sukhoi Su-34 - Wikipedia

If I my addition correct - and the Wikipedia page is accurate - that would be the 8th SU-34 lost in Ukraine so far.
There has been speculation that the Russian air defenses are trigger happy right now due to the HIMARS attacks, but some of the Russian radar/AA systems can't distinguish between missiles from a HIMARS and a jet. According to this "theory" the HIMARS attacks contributed to the recent SU-34 friendly fire incident. This seems plausible on the face of it, but I don't know if it's correct.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Proposed EU gas cuts caused by the brutal Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Europe has an epiphany, at last.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Simplifying greatly, this opinion item argues that Putin will likely conclude that continuing the war is beneficial to him unless the west sends additional military reinforcements to Ukraine in order to make it clear Russia cannot win.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Simplifying greatly, this opinion item argues that Putin will likely conclude that continuing the war is beneficial to him unless the west sends additional military reinforcements to Ukraine in order to make it clear Russia cannot win.

Thanks for that link!

The article dated 24th of July has the following "The winter season will also be a time of strategic vulnerability for Europe, given its reliance on Russian natural gas for heating. ". The day after it's reported that Russia will slash Nord Stream gas flows. This will make it harder to fill gas reservoirs for winter.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an interesting series of tweets by Mark Hertling about the U.S. supply of HIMARS. He estimates that each HIMARS unit will fire a minimum of 12 missiles (2 pods) per day, so 16 HIMARS will use at least 192 missiles a day. Thus, 16 HIMARS will use about 5,800 missiles per month. According to his tweets, the manufacturer here in the U.S. only makes about 9,000 missiles per year.

My take on this: The U.S. needs a huge increase in missile production if use of the HIMARS and M270 MLRS systems are to be ramped up.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My take on this: The U.S. needs a huge increase in missile production if use of the HIMARS and M270 MLRS systems are to be ramped up.
And/or emptying stock piles. NATO members don’t want to be without them, that’s for sure.

The question is how quickly US can ramp up production. As I recall, ramping up production of Stingers is difficult, but that is an old system.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
And/or emptying stock piles. NATO members don’t want to be without them, that’s for sure.

The question is how quickly US can ramp up production. As I recall, ramping up production of Stingers is difficult, but that is an old system.
Both are needed.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Oleksandra, Ukrainian Army:

"The only difficulties I have had to deal with and still have to deal with are the worries of my mom and the deaths of my friends. The lack of comfortable conditions doesn’t stress me/ This is war. You need to be ready for everything."

Oleksandra Ukrainian Army.jpeg

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Turkish Fenerbahce fans started chanting "vladimir putin" after Dynamo Kyiv scored against their team in the Champions League match in Istanbul

In this match, Dynamo won with a score of 2:1 and advanced to the next round of the UEFA Champions League :)

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Oleksandra, Ukrainian Army:

"The only difficulties I have had to deal with and still have to deal with are the worries of my mom and the deaths of my friends. The lack of comfortable conditions doesn’t stress me/ This is war. You need to be ready for everything."

View attachment 57057
Americans could take a lesson from this young woman.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You do know this is a propaganda photo by the Ukrainians?
You think this is propaganda?
5ce8ff4a-5a84-4da6-a3a4-56257279f5cd.jpeg

For the burial of all Russian soldiers who died in Ukraine, a cemetery with the area of 24 football fields will be required, according to the Ukrainian Defense Ministry

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Some economists from Yale did a pretty thorough analysis of the damage that their war in Ukraine has done to their own economy. It isn't nearly as insignificant as the Russian's have claimed.
Thanks for the link.

In the article there is a link to a PDF containing slides, and is quite informative as well as digestable: https://yale.box.com/s/7f6agg5ezscj234kahx35lil04udqgeo

The abstract ends with the following:

>>>Looking ahead, there is no path out of economic oblivion for Russia as long as the allied countries remain unified in maintaining and increasing sanctions pressure against Russia, and The Kyiv School of Economics and McFaul-Yermak Working Group have led the way in proposing additional sanctions measures.

Defeatist headlines arguing that Russia’s economy has bounced back are simply not factual - the facts are that, by any metric and on any level, the Russian economy is reeling, and now is not the time to step on the brakes. <<<

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an article about the current situation in Ukraine. I find myself wondering if Ukraine really will launch a major attack in Kherson, or if the talk of counterattacks in Kherson is a ploy to entice Russia to move it's troops south so Ukraine can retake territory in the east.

>>>The war is at a crossroads. With their units losing offensive momentum, some experts say that Russian commanders may need to choose a priority — whether to focus their increasingly limited troops and equipment in bolstering the southern front lines near Kherson against an imminent Ukrainian counteroffensive, or to continue pressing ahead on the eastern front.

“Russia, having large but limited forces on such a wide front, must choose — to continue the offensive in the East or to start active defense in the South,” independent analysts and researchers from the open source intelligence community Molfar stated in a July 25 release.

Richard Moore, the UK’s foreign intelligence chief, recently said that Russia could be “about to run out of steam” in Ukraine. . . .

Recent Western weapons deliveries are siphoning away Russia’s offensive strength in Ukraine, especially the US-supplied M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System, or HIMARS. A senior Pentagon official told reporters on July 22 that Ukrainian forces, including those armed with HIMARS rocket launchers, have destroyed more than 100 “high-value” Russian targets, including command posts, ammunition depots, air-defense sites, radar and communications nodes, and long-range artillery positions. . . .

Many experts agree that Kyiv is preparing a counteroffensive against the southern city of Kherson. A Ukrainian partisan movement has been active in the Russian-occupied area, which is of vital economic and military interest for Kyiv.

Ukrainian forces have begun to incrementally take back territory and small settlements around Kherson and have advanced to within about 50 kilometers of the city. Once the attack begins in force, it is likely to last through the summer, Ukrainian officials have said.<<<

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis