Ugh ...so confusing - help!!

• Thread starter BinkytheDoormat
  • Start date
B

BinkytheDoormat

Audiophyte
I found this site after sifting through reviews of equipment and amazon review for receivers and music streaming devices.

I recently had to scrap my Pioneer receiver from back in the mid-80's after it died. i think my speakers/subwoofer are ok (Klipsch KSB 3.1s), but won't really know until I get it hooked up to another receiver (I guess ...). I don't need a fancy set up, but would like something nice and especially something easy-to-use. I am not technically oriented and hate having to mess with stuff.

The big challenge is mostly wanting to stream Spotify songlists through my stereo. I would love to do some other stuff - but need to keep it simple to keep my stress level down. Here is my equipment:

Sharp Aquos 80" (new ...so wifi, HDMI, etc) - has Netflix built in, but can't get it connect to our lan
Klipsch KSB 3.1 speakers and subwoofer
Old Technics 5 CD carousel changer
Direct TV whole-home set up
Xbox and Kinect

Shopping for a receiver and blu-ray player - and whatever I need to stream wirelessly through my laptop.

I would love to hook all of this stuff up through the receiver but I am fine dumbing it down to my level.

What should I buy for a good balance of ease-of-connection/use and quality in a receiver and music streaming? It would be great to streaming videos from my laptop as well ...but realize I may jumping way ahead of the simple approach I am after.

TIA - any help would be appreciated, really stuck here.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
whats your budget?

accessories4less has marantz ud8004 blue ray and sr7005 for under $1850 shipped...
Or denon 1912 $329 and 1611 blu ray for $299

B

BinkytheDoormat

Audiophyte
Budget is something closer to the Denon you mentioned, but part of the problem is understanding what kind of difference I will notice on going higher. It seems like I can get something fairly respectable in the $400 range for a receiver, but I don't know what I should look for over and above that kind of sticker price. What should I buy to go with the receiver for quality, and easy hook-up for wireless streaming from my laptop (not iphone/ipad/cell phone)?

Would this be it? Do I need anything else?
Onkyo UWF-1 Wireless LAN Adapter (sorry ...I am too new and it would not let me paste a link)

This one seems to be iphone/ipad/cell phone/tablet specific ...
Onkyo UBT-1 Bluetooth USB Adapter

On the 1611 blu-ray - is this the music interface? So I could stream my free Spotify account through this box?

B

BinkytheDoormat

Audiophyte
Appreciation the input, any other advice or opinions out there?

A

Actran

Audioholic
I'm a denon fan as well. their XX12 and XX13 networked models will make your streaming desire a piece of cake. AirPlay is great and intuitive and there are a lot of wprkarounds if you don't have apple gear.

Denon also provides good customer service and there are a ton of user resources on the web for denon gear. I recently bought a Denon 2312 and the included setup wizard was cake.

The 2312 may be more than you need, but always nice to have room to grow.

*** networked models of receivers are often hard wire only (no wi-fi) so make sure you know what you're buying

* for a TV that size I would not recommend streaming over WIFI. You almost certainly are going to receiver mediocre picture quality from services like netflix.

The Bandwidth and reliability of a wired connection will serve you very well for both the TV and receiver

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis