Uggghhh, I feel stupid and need help

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Ok, so I bought my first external amp. An Outlaw 5000. I'm trying to connect it to my Yamaha RX-A2040 receiver to power my L/C/R and possibly my Rear Surrounds. Here are some pictures of the gear I'm using, and the RCA cables I bought:
20211010_185337.jpg

20211010_185457.jpg

20211010_185405.jpg

I know that the speaker cables attach to the amp, and that the RCA cables run from the pre outs to the amp. What I can't figure out is why the pre outs are not labeled Left and Right? Did I buy the wrong RCA cables? Am I just missing something completely obvious?

Thanks for helping my noob arse out lol.

Cheers,

}Fear_Inoculum{

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Red usually means right, it's a very common way to do it. Even if you had them reversed you wouldn't hurt anything.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting they don't specify L/R, like warnerwh says (and I don't see it in the manual either), at least on my avrs that's the color scheme followed for L/R; you can always test later by changing levels for the L/R channels and see what happens. Like ryanosaur said about cables.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
the left and right labels are all the way to the left of the receiver almost to the edge

left is on top and right is below

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, I see it now on the far left under the ground screw in tiny letters, had to blow the pdf up to see what it was :)

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
To be far they label the back like they explain everything in the manual hard to see hard to understand and hard to figure out . Like @ryanosaur said them ain’t going to work . Perhaps look on mono price or blue jeans cable for cables .

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Thanks everyone. Basically I just need different cables. Hopefully I can get those today, as I'd like to get this all back up and running ASAP.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure it will be much improvement over the 2040’s internal amps but should be fun to find out.

Here is the review. I think Gene mentions which amp channels are best to use for mains to get the best performance in this article. (Or maybe that was in one of his YouTube videos)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks everyone. Basically I just need different cables. Hopefully I can get those today, as I'd like to get this all back up and running ASAP.
You don't need to overthink it. ;) Basically like a Subwoofer cable... just mono RCA. I took some ancient Rat Shack Stereo RCAs and ripped them apart into mono cables to use. (Some simple stereo RCAs have locks around the cable to keep them from being ripped apart.)
You can spend as little or as much as you want on them, but at the end of the day, you are just passing a low-voltage signal over very short distance.
Could be this simple:

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Ok, good. I went to the local Visions (electronics chain here in Canada) and they had no idea what I was talking about, then one guy said that subwoofer cables are what I need. But man, the ones they had in stock were $$$$$. Cheapest one was 50$. And I need 5. Ugggghhhhh. Let's see if I can find something a little cheaper than that.

Thanks again for the help.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh. I can understand the confusion. It's not super obvious which is which.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wanted interconnects one day and went to Best Buy near here... they had audioquest or the most basic of basic RCAs like what you would get with you old CD Player or Tape Deck... Dental floss gauge conductor, probably copper clad... and STILL EXPENSIVE! Not fraudioquest expensive, but not worth the cost, either.

@}Fear_Inoculum{ it may well be worth just buying through Amazon.CA , if that's an option... at least there you can pick and choose, and hopefully have something worthwhile, delivered in a few days. ;)
Of course, any department store that sells electronics may still have some of those stereo pair RCA cables still on the shelf... good for in-a-pinch.

Cheers!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wanted interconnects one day and went to Best Buy near here... they had audioquest or the most basic of basic RCAs like what you would get with you old CD Player or Tape Deck... Dental floss gauge conductor, probably copper clad... and STILL EXPENSIVE! Not fraudioquest expensive, but not worth the cost, either.

@}Fear_Inoculum{ it may well be worth just buying through Amazon.CA , if that's an option... at least there you can pick and choose, and hopefully have something worthwhile, delivered in a few days. ;)
Of course, any department store that sells electronics may still have some of those stereo pair RCA cables still on the shelf... good for in-a-pinch.

Cheers!
Yes! Ryan speaks truth. The ones he linked are just fine. There's no need to break the bank on cables. Amazon or Monoprice are a fraction of the price.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

Cheers!
Ended up doing just that. Amazon basics. 5 subwoofer cables for 51$, delivered tomorrow. They're 8' long, which is over twice as long as I need them to be, but that's no biggie. Though I am trying to keep my cable management under control lol.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Cheers.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Not sure it will be much improvement over the 2040’s internal amps but should be fun to find out.

Here is the review. I think Gene mentions which amp channels are best to use for mains to get the best performance in this article. (Or maybe that was in one of his YouTube videos)

I read that review before I bought the amp, thanks for the link though anyway. Much appreciated.

Also, it's not so much about it being better than the Yamaha in terms of the amplification, but that I'm moving to separates and need external amplification. The Outlaw 5000 came up on Canuck Audio Mart as a local sale, and seemed like a good deal (I bought it for 550$ Canadian Pesos), so I jumped on it.

I'll keep using the Yamaha as an amp for a while after I get my new pre pro, whilst I save up for another amplifier.

Cheers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis