U-Turn Audio Orbit Custom Turntable

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
First of all I must give a large applause for the outstanding customer service I have received from the U-Turn Audio team. USA made in Worburn Ma. 2 year warranty that they stand by with a hand shake and a smile. Luckily I live about an hour drive from U-Turns shop. I had a tracking problem with my tone arm after a years use on my turn table. And after a couple of e- mails between me and the Co- founder Ben Herch I was told I could send it in for repairs or drop it off in person . I chose to drop off in person . I met Ben Herch with a smile and a hand shake as I was assured they would take care of my problems. This was on a Wednesday after 4:00pm. I received an e-mail 4:00 pm on Friday that my turntable was fixed and with a detailed report from Chelsea what they did for repairs . Most of the repairs above and beyond what I asked them to do free of charge. It arrived at my door on Saturday at 12:00. I was glad I got to meet some of the U-Turn team and see them in action. I loved the fact my turn table was made in the USA and I could pick my components for my turntable. Great turntable and great People ...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tease...so what was wrong with it after a year's use?

DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
Tease...so what was wrong with it after a year's use?
The set screw for the head shell loosed up. And the head shell turned out of alignment . U-Turn set up tracking and free upgrade of new style tone arm pivot bearings with a new head shell and looks like a new Ortofon Red 2m stylus . Got it back with in 3 days and it plays and tracks straight now . Cant ask for better service than that

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I very much like the U-turn turntables for a budget vinyl setup. A couple of upgrades are very much recommended over the bone stock offering (especially the tonearm lift, which makes the base price $220), but if all you have is $180, you can do much worse. The only caveat is the unipivot arm which for some users is a bit finicky to use, although it's not difficult to get used to with a bit of practice.

For a nicely configured setup, the "sweet spot", choose "custom" and select the tonearm lift and the Ortofon 2M Red for $294

The acrylic platter is also a nice option (with above, $369) and the Pluto phono preamp is by all accounts excellent (won a shootout at Stereophile against some slightly more expensive competition) for a total of $458, but those can be added later if necessary. The built-in phono preamp option is also worth considering, for a small savings over the standalone unit ... the same circuit in both.

You may also consider just buying a cartridge from elsewhere and keep the budget included Audio-Technica for a spare, as the additional cost for the Ortofon is $75, pretty close to the street price of $99 retail.

An excellent alternative cartridge to the Ortofon Red would be the Nakaoga MP-110 or Sumiko Pearl, both about $120.00, or the sleeper bargain Tonar 555 (made by Nakooga, and once sold by them as Nakaoga 555) for about $145.00. One thing about a unipivot tonearm is they are top shelf trackers so any good cartridge will be at it's budget best.

I've shopped at Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor both in person and online (Minneapolis MN) and another online vendor for cartridges and styli is LPGear (whom I've never dealt with but come well recommended by others).

Last edited:
DIY Junky

DIY Junky

Full Audioholic
I very much like the U-turn turntables for a budget vinyl setup. A couple of upgrades are very much recommended over the bone stock offering (especially the tonearm lift, which makes the base price $220), but if all you have is $180, you can do much worse. The only caveat is the unipivot arm which for some users is a bit finicky to use, although it's not difficult to get used to with a bit of practice.

For a nicely configured setup, the "sweet spot", choose "custom" and select the tonearm lift and the Ortofon 2M Red for $294

The acrylic platter is also a nice option (with above, $369) and the Pluto phono preamp is by all accounts excellent (won a shootout at Stereophile against some slightly more expensive competition) for a total of $458, but those can be added later if necessary. The built-in phono preamp option is also worth considering, for a small savings over the standalone unit ... the same circuit in both.

You may also consider just buying a cartridge from elsewhere and keep the budget included Audio-Technica for a spare, as the additional cost for the Ortofon is $75, pretty close to the street price of $99 retail.

An excellent alternative cartridge to the Ortofon Red would be the Nakaoga MP-110 or Sumiko Pearl, both about $120.00, or the sleeper bargain Tonar 555 (made by Nakooga, and once sold by them as Nakaoga 555) for about $145.00. One thing about a unipivot tonearm is they are top shelf trackers so any good cartridge will be at it's budget best.

I've shopped at Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor both in person and online (Minneapolis MN) and another online vendor for cartridges and styli is LPGear (whom I've never dealt with but come well recommended by others).
I set my budget at $500 tops. and the ability to even pick and choose at this price range and be made in USA and within a hours ride from my house was a no brainer for me. I went with custom set up with the Ortofon 2MRed with tone arm lift and cork mat . I am just getting back into vinyl and have a budget for all my gear.. Sounds great with many hours on it. And like I said the one slight problem I had with it was handled way above my expectations. I would buy again from U-Turn just based on the customer service alone. great group of real people who take pride in what they make.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
U-Turn's awesome. I bought a unit from them a couple years back and have really enjoyed it. American made, small company with great service, and superb bang for the buck! Any time people wanting to get back into vinyl but don't want to spend audiophile cash on one ask me "What turntable should I buy?", without hesitation, U-Turn's always my first response!

Great post, OP. Glad to hear they took such good care of you. Excellent customer service is a rarity these days, so companies like this deserve our support for sure. Actually, a LOT of smaller A/V related companies are phenomenal. Definitely one of the best categories of industries if you ask me. I've worked with some outstanding US companies in this field for sure.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis