Type of wood for amp stands

P

pachieh

Enthusiast
So I am getting to build some single amplifier stands for my system. I see a lot of MDF being used with a veneer overlay on them, presumably because of MDF absorbing vibrations and crap (which supposedly affect amp performance). I was thinking of building the platform from solid wood, but was looking for some recommendations from everyone here to see what they used.

Thoughts?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
lol. Have you been reading mapleshade? Build them out of whatever you like, because amps vibrating makes zero difference. How exactly do you think a powered sub works? I've had my amps sit directly on my sub before too.

P

pachieh

Enthusiast
Yeah, I wasn't buying the whole vibrating amp thing as a means to use MDF nor fancy sound isolation platforms. Looking to put whatever new version of the Emotiva XPA-1Ls are, onto these new platforms...

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
It is my opinion that the vibration will make 0.00003392% degradation in high frequen.......

Who comes up with this (expletive)???!?!???:rolleyes:

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
You're gonna want to hang the amps with steel cable.

>.>

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Anything will work. Hardwoods of course are the first choice. Being a manly type, I pull mine from trees, with the best of tough guy tools, the chainsaw. (followed by a flattening jig/router, then power planer, then about 2 years of waiting to dry)

MDF can do some cool stuff. The last speaker stands I built, for the bases, I stacked 3 layers of 3/4", glued up, parked my truck on top of them overnight. Hefty looking block, cut to shape, roundover tops, automotive painted. MDF is nice to use, as you don't have to worry about tearout or splitting, takes well to contact cement for veneering, all that.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Why don'y you make a hammock for it out of bungee cord. No vibrations at all!:D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
If you look in the link in my sig at my systems you can see my amp stands, pretty easy to do.. If you want a 4" thick stand that is 21"x20" just get 28-20"x4"x1" oak finish boards {or what ever wood you want, maple, black walnut ect} then glue them together with some clamps, then sand them smooth and stain them or poly them, then buy spike feet from parts express...

If you are worried about vibration build the same stand except use the 4" around the sides and 1x1" for the center so you will have a stand that has the center lower than the sides, put a couple inches of sand in it, then a large flat board on top of the sand, then sit the amp on that board.. I built one like this and it wasn't worth the effort, my brother actually has that one now...

another option is to just buy a stand, VTI sells them for reasonable amounts...
Amazon.com - 304 Series Fixed Height Speaker Stand Shelves: Cherry, Frame/Caps: Silver Grey Poles/Silver Caps - Home Speaker Stands
http://www.amazon.com/Series-Audio-Amplifier-Stand-Black/dp/B004M0W6LK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413324992&sr=8-1&keywords=vti+stand+amp
I have one of each of them... they work...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis