Tyler Acoustic Placement

C

Chipbyrd

Audioholic Intern
Hello,

I just ordered some new speakers from Tyler Acoustics. I am getting a pair of D3M monitors (big MTM monitors rated down to 35hz) and a pair of DS12 subs (essentially a Rythmik F12 with a driver designed by Dannie Richie)

I know I will have to do lots of tweaking, but I would like to know where you gentlemen would start? Where would initially place the monitors? The subs?

I have attached a layout of my room as well as one with an option that was suggested to me. I am exclusively two channel.

Also, I should mention that the windows are standard 36”x36” and go to the ceiling. The ceiling in 8’. And I already built 5 corner chunks and 6 absorption panels for first reflection point. But it seemed silly to build more until I know where I am headed.

Thanks for the help,

Chip

Attachments

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
Hey Chip,

We have many articles on our website to setting up speakers, treating the room, and information on acoustic anomalies that happen inside rooms.

Check out this article for speaker positioning: Monitor Positioning in Room Setup - GIK Acoustics

This article is about Speaker Boundary Interference Response - the main acoustic problem that is associated with speaker positioning: Speaker Boundary Interference Response SBIR GIK Acoustics

And here's our acoustics primer with tons of other information, from treatment and beyond: Room Acoustics Primer - GIK Acoustics

If you have any specific questions - feel free to ask!

C

Chipbyrd

Audioholic Intern
Speaker placement

Thanks, I read through them. I also read Dr Winer's book on placement and noticed he gave special emphasis to "symmetry." I have also familiarized myself with the so-called "Golden Ratio."

What I am looking for is some practical advice from those with experience placing monitors and two subs. I realize that I will have to move, shift, adjust based on my room, but I would like to hear ideas for initial placement.

Thanks,
Chip

G

GIK Acoustics

Audioholic Intern
There really isn't a good starting point to note with subs. Their response is dramatically different in practically every room in any position. A lot of trial and error can be necessary. I'd say to get a mic set up for measurement and start at a convenient area, and start going from there. I would find optimal placement for a single sub first, get the most even response, and then add the second one and play with placement.

SBIR will likely be the biggest factor deciding sub placement. If you have treatment, placing it between the subs and close walls can be helpful in many instances.

You can check out the following program to test your room: Room EQ Wizard Tutorial - GIK Acoustics

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis