TX- SR 502 and JBL Northridge E 100's?

M

minzaa

Audiophyte
Ok, I am an inexperienced home theater builder. Well anyways Ive got the Onkyo TX-SR 502 receiver and the JBl Northridge E 100's as front speakers. I was wondering if i could add more speakers, center, rear...etc. Can this receiver take all the speakers together? Will it sound good?

M

minzaa

Audiophyte
Oh and does anyone know what sub-woofer i should get for under $300?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes / Yes

Check Partsexpresses Dayton, and the Hsu STF-1

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
minzaa said:
Ok, I am an inexperienced home theater builder. Well anyways Ive got the Onkyo TX-SR 502 receiver and the JBl Northridge E 100's as front speakers. I was wondering if i could add more speakers, center, rear...etc. Can this receiver take all the speakers together? Will it sound good?
Yes, but I would recommend adding the same line of JBL's for timber matching (making sure the mids and highs match up) for your center and surrounds. Don't mix and match speaker manufacturers (except for the sub). Otherwise, get an entire new surround setup package. The receiver is a surround receiver, and can take all the speakers. It will sound fine.

The HSU woofer is a great buy, but may overpower your system if you use it to it's full advantage. I do recommend the HSU woofer - about the best you can do at that price. The E250P by JBL is fine for your setup and will be about $100 less than the HSU. The extra $100 is a worthy investment though.

M

minzaa

Audiophyte
The HSU woofer sounds great, I actually listened to that one earlier today. Well i am really a noob to this stuff. Could you explain to me what the mids and highs of a receiver are? Thank you.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
minzaa said:
The HSU woofer sounds great, I actually listened to that one earlier today. Well i am really a noob to this stuff. Could you explain to me what the mids and highs of a receiver are? Thank you.
Mids and highs are the tones the speakers put out. Mids are mid range frequencies usually in the 800Hz to 2000Hz range. Highs are the higher notes of a speaker, usually 2000Hz to 20,000Hz, or cycles per second. You may equate a human voice to midrange, and a drums cymbal to highs.

I wasn't aware HSU sold woofers locally. Make sure you are looking at one of these:

http://www.hsustore.com/stf2.html

http://www.hsustore.com/stf1.html

Personally, I'd go with the stf2 for the 10" woofer. The stf1, although $100 cheaper, can't go down below 30Hz. You can hear down to 20Hz.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
minzaa said:
Unless the speakers are highly sensitive, no. It's a bargain basement receiver - great starter, but don't expect too much. J and R has it today for $179.

www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3978050

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis