Two subs using Audessey XT

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thought I’d start a new thread for this. Just got a pair of SB3000’s and Audessey has the distance at about 13’ while my speakers are 7’ and 8’ away… sit slightly off center.

so first I need to level match the subs but I’m guessing I should measure distance for both subwoofers and then use the average?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thought I’d start a new thread for this. Just got a pair of SB3000’s and Audessey has the distance at about 13’ while my speakers are 7’ and 8’ away… sit slightly off center.

so first I need to level match the subs but I’m guessing I should measure distance for both subwoofers and then use the average?
I would trust Audyssey on this one. That is a sealed sub and should not have a lot of group delay. However check the phasing and make sure your phase is optimized with the phase knob. Bass has long wavelengths so a few degrees off is many feet. Remember phase is time and therefor distance.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
I would trust Audyssey on this one. That is a sealed sub and should not have a lot of group delay. However check the phasing and make sure your phase is optimized with the phase knob. Bass has long wavelengths so a few degrees off is many feet. Remember phase is time and therefor distance.
The SVS app just has phase positive or negative. The subs are corner loaded so it occurred to me that, due to the corner loading the time that the impulse arrives at the bank, listening position may actually be further from the truth distance of the subs. Not sure but something seems off. I may move my main listening position to a perfect triangle speakers and subs measured out and rerun Audessey. Probably level match output on the subs as well.

BTW my receiver has dualsub outs but it’s just and internal splitter.
:confused:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Subs with DSP will always have Delay: it is the nature of the product. The "Distance" measurement is actualy how the device handles Delay. Your Passive Speakers will be almost exact by measurement, or should be. It is common for Subs to be listed as further away than they actually are.
As TLS already said: "Trust Audyssey on this."

What make and model is your receiver?

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Subs with DSP will always have Delay: it is the nature of the product. The "Distance" measurement is actualy how the device handles Delay. Your Passive Speakers will be almost exact by measurement, or should be. It is common for Subs to be listed as further away than they actually are.
As TLS already said: "Trust Audyssey on this."

What make and model is your receiver?
It’s a Marantz SR5014

Thanks

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s a Marantz SR5014

Thanks
The 5000 series doesn't offer discrete Sub Out? Bit surprised at that. But if that is the case, there isn't much else to say in that regard.
How symmetric is your layout?
If the Subs are equidistant from the AVR and you, the lack of control in that manner is moot. If able to match them up you can overcome that issue.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The 5014 only has XT, so no independent sub treatment for level/delay. Equidistant from your seat would be the way to go and was said physical distance may not match up with subs due additional processing in the sub, either use measurement gear or trust Audyssey would be my suggestion too.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
The 5000 series doesn't offer discrete Sub Out? Bit surprised at that. But if that is the case, there isn't much else to say in that regard.
How symmetric is your layout?
If the Subs are equidistant from the AVR and you, the lack of control in that manner is moot. If able to match them up you can overcome that issue.
It has dual LFE sub out but I believe it has an internal splitter. No independent subwoofer control. I can control gain independently on the SVS app though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As said no, trust audyssey for the distances. It’s usually very good. Between the DSP and the way the audyssey mic “sees” the subs will almost always be set as farther than they are. You can also add some distance(shorten delay) to help impulse response and it can help fill in holes in the XO region. Set each sub to 70-71db. That will probably get you close to 75db collectively for the audyssey run. Try to set them so that audyssey trims them to -10ish. Then you can bump them up accordingly. You can do that with the svs app too. If you trim them in the app then make sure audyssey sets them a little higher, like -5. That way it’s less likely to upset the auto on function.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thanks, I filled with it, and finally got them dialed. I saw polarity and thought phase, but there’s a phase adjustment for the subs as well in the SVS app.
Did I mention I’m in an apartment, what time tomorrow do you think I get my eviction notice?

dual SB 3000 destroy the PB 1000

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis