Two part reciever problem

R

Riftpoint

Audiophyte
Hi all,
I just purchased a used TX-SR705, supposedly in perfect working condition (it looks in great condition, anyways) to replace a refurbed TX-SR607 that died. But it's not putting a signal out the way it should, and it's randomly shutting off (blinking red light, amp protection mode?). I haven't even attached any speakers yet.

My setup is as follows:
[All equipment (minus the TV & speakers) in a closet on a dedicated 15amp circuit & older surge protector.]
Receiver
PS3
Cable box (comcast hd-dvr)
Printer
Cable modem
2 Wireless routers (One wireless n, the other an older model for wife's older laptop w/o n)

What works:
Cable box -> HDMI -> HDMI extender (radio shack) -> HDMI -> TV
Cable box -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> TV

What doesn't work:
Cable box -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI -> HDMI extender -> HDMI -> TV (no signal)
Cable box -> HDMI -> receiver -> HDMI to Cat5 extension -> TV (TV acts like it wants to pick it up, but doesn't. This was my original setup)

On top of that, when I just run from the cable box to the receiver, then out to the TV the receiver will audibly click off after about 5-35min, and the red light will blink. This seems to be a protection feature I've read about? Am I overloading my circuit? The surge protector? Is the previous owner's settings causing the receiver to go into protection mode since there aren't any speakers attached? Thoughts?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What happened to the 607? If it's HDMI related they will repair it even if it's out of warranty. Contact Onkyo. You will need a copy of the sales receipt.

R

Riftpoint

Audiophyte
I bought it several years ago, and I have no clue where the sales receipt would be anymore... I tried to have it repaired by a local electronics shop, but it didn't work. I managed to snag this 705 for relatively cheap, which I decided was a better idea at the time than spending more money on trying to repair the 607 further. Maybe it'll turn out to be the wrong decision, but I'd like to try and get it working as well. Thanks though.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
If the receiver is going into amp protection mode after 30 minutes without you even connecting speakers, then there is an issue with that receiver. Your connections should not be driving that behavior, regardless of how you have it set up. I suspect it was blown/overheated by the previous owner.

R

Riftpoint

Audiophyte
If that's the case, then hopefully eBay/the seller will let me return it. They claimed it was in excellent working condition, except one of the center speaker binding posts was missing it's plastic cap. They did however, ship it kind of poorly... but I couldn't see any damage (not to say there wasn't). It was shipped by UPS in a large Lowes moving box, sitting on the bottom of the box (nothing between it and the cardboard), upside down, with as many of those air pouch type packing protectors as they could fit above it.

Last edited:
R

Riftpoint

Audiophyte
What happened to the 607? If it's HDMI related they will repair it even if it's out of warranty. Contact Onkyo. You will need a copy of the sales receipt.
As to what happened exactly to the 607? I think it got hit by a power surge, via the TV (which was stupidly not on a surge protector, had to replace that also). I was getting audio, but no video off of HDMI no matter what I did. Had an electronics repair shop take a look at it, and try replacing the capacitors which seemed to be the issue. They did offer to find an HDMI board for the receiver if that didn't fix the problem, but I got the 705 for probably about as much as parts and repair would have cost for replacing the board on the 607... I'm beginning to think (because of tmurnin's reply) that I should just send back the 705 and try to get the 607 repaired further (I don't think I'd be lucky to get one so cheap again, and for good reason I guess...). But it still doesn't solve the issue as to why the 705 (which can output video, even if it shuts down after a while) can't do it over a long run of cable...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I bought it several years ago, and I have no clue where the sales receipt would be anymore... I tried to have it repaired by a local electronics shop, but it didn't work. I managed to snag this 705 for relatively cheap, which I decided was a better idea at the time than spending more money on trying to repair the 607 further. Maybe it'll turn out to be the wrong decision, but I'd like to try and get it working as well. Thanks though.
If you bought the 607 online, just get in touch with the company and they will send the sale receipt via email. I would also contact Onkyo to see If they can resolve the issue with the 705. I've always had a good experience with their customer service. EDIT: 607, That's an HDMI issue get it repaired for free with Onkyo. Even If you can't get the receipt I'd give them a call you never know. I think member Boredsysadmin has a 705 and maybe he can help.

Last edited:
tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
It may be worth a quick call to Onkyo to see what is going on and if it can be resolved with minimal effort on your part, but if it was shipped without much padding/protection, it is very conceivable that a wire could have come loose in the shipping and be creating an internal short, causing the shutdown. Regardless, not your problem.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Also try checking all the speaker wiring on the 705, that might be the culprit. It happened to me when I had the Onkyo 707 it kept shutting down:mad:, it had a lose wire. Fixed my problem.:D

R

Riftpoint

Audiophyte
Also try checking all the speaker wiring on the 705, that might be the culprit. It happened to me when I had the Onkyo 707 it kept shutting down:mad:, it had a lose wire. Fixed my problem.:D
I don't even have any speakers connected yet...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Also, do a factory reset on the 705. That might help too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis