P

placebo

Audiophyte
Alright, I know theres probably a hundred of these threads created but I couldn't find any particular one to latch on to so heres mine:

I want to buy a new 50" TV that doesnt hurt the wallet but has an excellent picture as well.
I am seriously considering the Sony KDS50 A2020 becuase it has the 1080P and is pretty cheap.

Space is not really an issue for me so i can spare having an RPTV.

The only doubt I am having with RPTV is that the older the TV the less brighter the bulb (and picture) will be. atleast thats what I Understand.

How is having a RPTV 3 years down the line - will the picture be as good or will i have to deal with a crappy picture until the bulb is replaced? Or is there a better bang for the buck that Im missing

Thank you,

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully there will be a few people that have RPTV and can say how often (or if ever) they've replaced the bulb.

Anecdotally, I can say it definitely varies. My uncle has replaced his bulb 3 times in the 3 years he's owned his RP LCD. My friend has had a Sony RP LCD for 3 years and hasn't replaced the bulb yet.

In some ways, RPTV has an advantage in that you can replace the bulb and be back to brand new. On the other hand though, if you end up replacing the bulb multiple times over the lifespan of the TV you may have been better off just spending more upfront for a plasma or flat panel LCD that have no bulbs to replace.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I've the 50A2000, which is identical to the A2020 except for the silver colouring along the bottom. I love this TV. Absolutely love it! It's got enough brightness to work in a very brightly lit room, but it still looks stellar in near darkness. The colours are superb. Everything rocks about it. Well, except for the silk screen effect, which for me is a minor quibble.

Regarding the bulb situation, here's what somebody at SonyStyle.ca told me (and I'm sure this applies to the A2020 line as well as Americans) -- there have been reports of faulty bulbs being placed in the A2000 line, so as a gesture of goodwill, Sony will replace free of charge any bulbs that blow within two years of purchase of the HDTV.

I've only had my 50A2000 for a few months, and the bulb is still fine. And with the guy at SonyStyle.ca told me, I'm not terribly worried about it. For the price you can find for the 50A2020, I'd totally go for it. I'm seriously delighted about my purchase!

cheers,
supervij

P

placebo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the input guys.

I understand and accept the fact that I will eventually have to replace the bulb. But will the bulb just die out or will it lessen in brightness therein resulting in a worse picture?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I understand and accept the fact that I will eventually have to replace the bulb. But will the bulb just die out or will it lessen in brightness therein resulting in a worse picture?
If the bulb is not defective it will slowly lose brightness but as with anything else you can't guarantee that it won't just die suddenly.

Manufacturers rate bulb life and backlight (plasma, lcd) in terms of 'half-life'. So when a plasma or lcd is rated for 60,000 hours it means that on average it will last 60,000 hours before its light intensity fades to half of its original brightness. RPTV bulbs are usually rated between 5,000 - 8,000 hours.

Your mileage may vary as they say. If you use the TV all day every day, the life may be shorter. Use it less and it may last longer. Just keep in mind that all the lifetime ratings are for half-life and are averages; some will fail sooner than the half-life and some will last longer than the half-life and you cannot predict beforehand how long your particular bulb will last.

P

placebo

Audiophyte
If the bulb is not defective it will slowly lose brightness but as with anything else you can't guarantee that it won't just die suddenly.

Manufacturers rate bulb life and backlight (plasma, lcd) in terms of 'half-life'. So when a plasma or lcd is rated for 60,000 hours it means that on average it will last 60,000 hours before its light intensity fades to half of its original brightness. RPTV bulbs are usually rated between 5,000 - 8,000 hours.

Your mileage may vary as they say. If you use the TV all day every day, the life may be shorter. Use it less and it may last longer. Just keep in mind that all the lifetime ratings are for half-life and are averages; some will fail sooner than the half-life and some will last longer than the half-life and you cannot predict beforehand how long your particular bulb will last.

Is it safe to change your self, or does it have to be serviced by a trained tech?

P

placebo

Audiophyte
crap, what i hoped wouldnt happen, happened - i found a possibly better TV
the Samsung HL-T5689 - 56" LED with Auto volume leveler - and I think this tv even plays 1080P over component unlike the Sony.

So...which is rated to be better? Sony KDS50A2020 or the Samsung HL-T5689?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Exactly how much money are you looking to spend on the 50 inch. That might help people help you.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Personally with that price range I would look into either the Sharp LC-52D82U can be found for 2700ish or the Sharp LC-52D62U 2500ish. Both those are LCDs with 1080p and are 52 inches. Alternatively, panasonic makes a good tv that would be a little cheaper as well such as the TH-50PX75U a great plasma for the money (under 2k).

Maybe I am partial to the newer flatscreens but I think they have better pictures than RP Tvs

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis