G

<font color='#000000'>Hey all,
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I just bought an old Sony turntable with Linear Tracking off of ebay and i bought it knowing that the linear tracking only works once in a while and needs to be fixed. &nbsp;I was just curious if anyone knows how much it will cost to get this fixed, just an estimate. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Thanks a bunch.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>Cost depends on the type of linear tracking system employed, I would guess. For example many so called linear tracking systems used motors (steppers?) with pulleys etc. Some use gravity force from a vertical orientation. A true linear tracking turntable is a very low friction design such that the inward spiral of the records grooves is the only force needed to move the stylus across the face of the vinyl record. Obviously not an easy engineering project! The point I am getting at here is that you will get off easy if your problem is only an adjustment or a lubrication issue in the mechanism. If you have failed or broken parts you may have to scrap the turntable as I doubt parts are readily available. This is my belief anyway. When you deal with service people don't be afraid to ask for them to investigate the problem before you agree to spend money. Keep asking questions until you fully understand what is wrong and why it costs what it does to fix it. I know a bit about this stuff as I was employed as a technician in the past. Hope this helps.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>yeah, that does help out a lot, thanks a bunch</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis