G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
What’s a good turntable under 700? What’s a reasonable pair of interconnects?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What’s a good turntable under 700? What’s a reasonable pair of interconnects?
For a turntable, I would recommend a sturdy Audio-Technica AT-LP1240. This a DJ turntable and I owm one. It represents a very good value for the price and performs very well:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=audio-technica consumer at-lp1240-usb xp&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ps

As for interconnects, I suggest the Monoprice cables which are very affordable. It's no use paying extra $ for expensive interconnects.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The AT-LP1240 is cheaper at Amazon at $449. This with the Shure M97xE cartridge is a good combination and this what I use.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The AT-LP1240 is cheaper at Amazon at $449. This with the Shure M97xE cartridge is a good combination and this what I use.
Except that the M97xE is discontinued and prices in the range of USD 200-300 on Amazon now. To think I bought mine new for $73 a few years ago. Dang.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Shure M97xE is a discontinued product. Shure stopped production of cartridges.

Should you decide to get one, I would suggest that you also order a spare stylus. That should be good for a long time.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Except that the M97xE is discontinued and prices in the range of USD 200-300 on Amazon now. To think I bought mine new for $73 a few years ago. Dang.
I paid mine about 5 years ago less than $100 CDN too. But a few sellers on eBay with a 100% feedback score have them for around $200 USD at present.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I paid mine about 5 years ago less than$100 too. But a few sellers on eBay with a 100% feedback score have them for around $200 at present.
I doubt barring an accident it will be much of a worry for me :) Then I'd probably see if there's anything to certain claims about the lp gear stylus for it if not simply a different cartridge this time around. They probably had a retailer cost originally in the $40 range as a guess. Saw a post from an older former audio salesman who remembered when a few cartridge companies basically sold their whole lineup of different models for within a dollar or two of each other, even tho retail could be quite different...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As an alternative to the discontinued Shure M97xE cartridge, I would recommend either the Grado Black2 or Green2 cartridge. These two products are very affordable and are known to perform well.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have a Project RPM1 with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, and a Project Phono Box MM phono amp. Total was about $550, and I'm pretty impressed with it.

BTW, it looks more 'high tech' and expensive than it actually is, and I get a LOT of compliments on it.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
If you can get a used well cared for table look into it. A few years back I picked up a near mint REGA Planar 3 with a new REGA Carbon phono cart for $500 from a local high end dealer.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My best old friend used to be manager of several Hi-Fi shops in the Montreal area. Several cartridge manufacturers were offering him new cartridges for review.

According to him, nothing has bettered at any reasonable price the Shure V15 Mark V.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My best old friend used to be manager of several Hi-Fi shops in the Montreal area. Several cartridge manufacturers were offering him new cartridges for review.

According to him, nothing has bettered at any reasonable price the Shure V15 Mark V.
I had both a Type 3 and Type 4 but preferred the 3. I did hear that the 5 was better than either but never did get a chance to listen to one.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I had both a Type 3 and Type 4 but preferred the 3. I did hear that the 5 was better than either but never did get a chance to listen to one.
I have the Type III which I plan to list on eBay any day now. It will come with a like new after market stylus which the German Dual turntable manufacturer was selling for replacement when Shure discontinued production. Asking $319 CDN for it which I believe is a reasonable price, considering that it was one of the best cartridges ever made. Should you be interested, PM me.

Cheers,

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have the Type III which I plan to list on eBay any day now. It will come with a like new after market stylus which the German Dual turntable manufacturer was selling for replacement when Shure discontinued production. Asking $319 CDN for it which I believe is a reasonable price, considering that it was one of the best cartridges ever made. Should you be interested, PM me.

Cheers,
Thanks but I'm pretty happy with my nearly new REGA Carbon with an optional LP gear elliptical replacement for now. I did like that type 3 cart but if I am going to spend upwards of $300 I would probably buy a Dynavector DX5. The DX3 I owned was the best sounding cart I ever owned. The $319 is a good price for that Shure though. Thanks again!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis