Wannabubble

Wannabubble

Junior Audioholic
When I play A record on my turntable the volume on my receiver needs to be at about -15db for a comfortable listening level for me. This also produces a humming noise. If I play a CD, I can play it at about -30db. I have it plugged into the phone input on the back of my receiver. I was just wondering if this is normal.

I have a Denon 2807 hooked up to Klipsch RF-82s and the turntable is a Technics SL-BD20. Also what does the ground on the turntable exactly do?

Thanks!

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Well, that could be the problem. You need to attach the ground, to, well, ground.

Your amp/preamp/receiver may have a ground lug on the back of it to attach it to.

Also, if you volume is very very low, are you using the Phono input? If you don't have a phono input, then chances are you do not have a phono pre-amp and will need to purchase one.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
When I play A record on my turntable the volume on my receiver needs to be at about -15db for a comfortable listening level for me. This also produces a humming noise. If I play a CD, I can play it at about -30db. I have it plugged into the phone input on the back of my receiver. I was just wondering if this is normal.

I have a Denon 2807 hooked up to Klipsch RF-82s and the turntable is a Technics SL-BD20. Also what does the ground on the turntable exactly do?

Thanks!
That input is marked 'Phono', not Phone. What kind of cartridge is on the turntable? If the output is lower than normal, you will need to set the volume higher than other sources. As stated, the ground wire is for grounding the TT to the receiver and usually eliminates the hum. If you have a moving coil cartridge, you need a separate moving coil preamp. Moving magnet cartridges are usually produce around 10x the output voltage of a moving coil cartridge. Read page 17 of the manual for this. If you have the ground wire connected and it hums, disconnect it- it's not a safety issue if you don't connect it.

Wannabubble

Wannabubble

Junior Audioholic
The cartridge is a MM Technics P23 . I could not find much info on the web for this.:(

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis