S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Trying to set my audio technica at-lp120 to my Sony str-dn840. The dn840 doesn't have a phono input so I'm guessing I can use any analog such as the sa/cd. So the switch on the audio technica, which is equipped with a pre amp, needs to be on the line selector and not the phono selector correct? Any info on this subject is greatly appreciated!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds good to me.. Probably would have took less time to give it a try vs post this and wait for a reply, lol.. :)
That is a nice turntable you got there, one of the best values in my opinion {for sound and features, I am not crazy about the looks}...

S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I would have just tried it but the rca cord is connected to the technica and it is too short so I have to get adapters/extensions this morning. My first one since Fischer Price days surprise gift from the wife...completely unexpected. The black one does look better about 75 bucks more. Thanks for the reply.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats on the new turntable. You made the correct choice in the switch selection.

S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Thanks 3db... another question though, since the rca cable wasn't long enough I had to buy rca plug couplers. does that degrade the quality of the sound at all?

S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Ok update. So apparently, according to the geniuses at sony you CAN in fact hook this turntable up to the DN840 HOWEVER you'll only get sound from ONE SPEAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! WHO IN THE HELL WANTS TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM ONLY ONE SPEAKER!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be a way to get this to work. The dn840 was not a cheap receiver when I bought it 2 years ago but definitely not the most expensive out there but come on a turntable?!?!?

It's currently connected to the L & R rca jacks of the SA/CD input but nothing out of the left speaker. I even switched the colors but then no sound at all.:mad:

Anyone have any suggestions aside from setting this receiver on a tee ball stand???

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok update. So apparently, according to the geniuses at sony you CAN in fact hook this turntable up to the DN840 HOWEVER you'll only get sound from ONE SPEAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!! WHO IN THE HELL WANTS TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM ONLY ONE SPEAKER!!!!!!!!!!!

There has to be a way to get this to work. The dn840 was not a cheap receiver when I bought it 2 years ago but definitely not the most expensive out there but come on a turntable?!?!?

It's currently connected to the L & R rca jacks of the SA/CD input but nothing out of the left speaker. I even switched the colors but then no sound at all.:mad:

Anyone have any suggestions aside from setting this receiver on a tee ball stand???
The problem has to be with the turntable not the receiver. The receiver would not know what was connected to the CD analog inputs. So the turntable built on pre amp must only send out single channel mono. So it looks as if you will need a phono pre amp after all. I will look into it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have looked at both manuals and see that there is nothing in the receiver manual that says that the analog input jacks can switch to mono. That would be impossible anyway.

However I see that turntable can be wired for stereo or mono. This is because PA and DJ systems are mono more often than not, and DJs like these turntables. I would bet your turntable is currently wired for mono.

You can check how it is wired by looking at the turntable manual page 8. The cartridge for your turntable has pins that allow it to be wired for mono or stereo operation.

In over 60 years of dealing with turntables, I have never seen or heard of this before. I would bet that is were your problem lies.

S

SAMSUNG HUNG

Audioholic Intern
Problem solved! Thanks TLS Guy. It was a bad contact between the headshell and the headshell locking ring. one of the four contacts was sticking a bit so I swabbed alcohol on it and it now works!!!Whew!!!!!!! thanks all for the help:D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Problem solved! Thanks TLS Guy. It was a bad contact between the headshell and the headshell locking ring. one of the four contacts was sticking a bit so I swabbed alcohol on it and it now works!!!Whew!!!!!!! thanks all for the help:D
Glad you are up and running. I knew it had to be a turntable issue.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Thanks 3db... another question though, since the rca cable wasn't long enough I had to buy rca plug couplers. does that degrade the quality of the sound at all?
Not the way that you are running it. The cables would have to be LONG before you would notice anything.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis