Turntable/preamp setup

J

Johnniev

Audiophyte
I set up my long stored Techics SL-1700 turntable recently. It is plugged into a new Parasound USB preamp and that in turn is plugged into the VCR/DVR inputs on an Onkyo TX-NR509 amp since this amp does not have phono inputs. The cartridge is a Ortofon MC 20 moving coil. My question is, why does the amp require me to crank the volume in order to hear vinyl, and not so playing any other source? CD, Home theater, NET radio, TV through the amp at 25 is loud, to get the same volume from vinyl I have to raise it to 35 and up. It would seem I would get the same sound level from vinyl that I get from the other sources. Any help appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The phono preamp doesn't output as strong a signal as the other sources. This is not uncommon.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It also depends on the output voltage of your cartridge.

J

Johnniev

Audiophyte
They both make sense, I just didn't want to blow a speaker should it spike at some point, but considering the preamp output, should explain it, thanks for the replies.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Your Ortofon MC 20 phono pick up appears to be the low output moving coil (MC) kind, rated at 0.25 mV. See http://ortofon.com/hifi/products/historical-products/ortofon-mc-20-super-reintroduction. In comparison, most moving magnet (MM) pick ups have out puts in the range of 4.5 to 5.5 mV. More recently, Ortofon has produced MC pick up with higher output, rated at 3.3 mV, much closer to the range of MM pick ups.

Your phono preamp does have a switch on the back labled MC/MM. Have you switched it to MC?

Does the owner's manual tell you what range of sensitivity it has for MC and for MM?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis