Turntable preamp help

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Hello all, I'm new to the turntable/vinyl world and I need some help. Currently I have a Musichall MMF2.2 than I'm now starting to get into and hook up. My amplifier is a Parasound A21. I am in need of a phono preamp. My issue is, all of the phono preamps I see, do not have volume control. As the Parasound doesn't have volume control, I'm lead to believe both preamp and amp would then just run full open. I recently got a Cambridge Duo (by mistake and need to return) and I tested it out while I have it. I saw that it had volume control so my setup would be complete, but when I hooked it up, I realized the volume knob is just for the headphone output.

I don't want to get a new amplifier as I just recently got this one. What are my options for preamps that have volume control out there for my turntable? A preamp with a remote is even better. I'm looking to~$500.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Hello all, I'm new to the turntable/vinyl world and I need some help. Currently I have a Musichall MMF2.2 than I'm now starting to get into and hook up. My amplifier is a Parasound A21. I am in need of a phono preamp. My issue is, all of the phono preamps I see, do not have volume control. As the Parasound doesn't have volume control, I'm lead to believe both preamp and amp would then just run full open. I recently got a Cambridge Duo (by mistake and need to return) and I tested it out while I have it. I saw that it had volume control so my setup would be complete, but when I hooked it up, I realized the volume knob is just for the headphone output.

I don't want to get a new amplifier as I just recently got this one. What are my options for preamps that have volume control out there for my turntable? A preamp with a remote is even better. I'm looking to~$500.
For your needs i would look at preamps with built in phono stages.

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/pt-100
Very good value.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PRMAPRE

I don’t have a lot of experience in the $500 market so I am not sure the best options. I would think the Emotiva may be a best bet.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
For your needs i would look at preamps with built in phono stages.

https://emotiva.com/collections/pre-amps/products/pt-100
Very good value.

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=PRMAPRE

I don’t have a lot of experience in the $500 market so I am not sure the best options. I would think the Emotiva may be a best bet.
Thanks, it seeems a preamp with a built in phono input is the way to go ( as opposed to a strictly phono preamp) So what kind of amps do people use with strictly phono preamps without volume controls? It seems like more often than not, power amps don't have volume control.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Thanks, it seeems a preamp with a built in phono input is the way to go ( as opposed to a strictly phono preamp) So what kind of amps do people use with strictly phono preamps without volume controls? It seems like more often than not, power amps don't have volume control.
Either they use an amp, preamp, and phono stage or they use an integrated amp. Better quality outboard phono preamps tends to sound better. At your price point that isn’t necessarily true and the suggestions i made will all sound pretty good.

W

wtrimble

Junior Audioholic
Either they use an amp, preamp, and phono stage or they use an integrated amp. Better quality outboard phono preamps tends to sound better. At your price point that isn’t necessarily true and the suggestions i made will all sound pretty good.
I see, you always need a preamp, not just a phono preamp, to control the volume (unless the amp has control) Thanks for the help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see, you always need a preamp, not just a phono preamp, to control the volume (unless the amp has control) Thanks for the help
Usually one would have a pre-amp to mix several sources, rather than just one. Just one and a power amp might be managed depending on the control options on source/amp. Cartridges need particular pre-amps/RIAA curve (phono stage) depending on cartridge type.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, here are the common means to integrate your TT:
1. phono preamp>line preamp, which does not include phono preamp>power amp
2. phono preamp>integrated amp
3. integrated amp, which includes phono preamp
4. line preamp, which includes phono preamp>power amp
if you want to use your power amp you must select #1 or #4; but, either of these means to pleasure is expensive. The least expensive route will be door #3, perhaps, a Marantz integrated amp, all include a phono preamp. They run from $500 to $1000 and all but the least expensive have both analog and digital inputs.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Since you have a Parasound amp I would opt for a full function preamp. Both NAD (C 165BEE) and Parasound manufacture preamps. There are many other companies that do also. Just food for thought.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis