Turntable Help: excessive static!

P

poploser

Audiophyte
Hello all.
I recently purchased a new turntable, Numark’s TT-200. Much to my dismay, there is excessive crackling and “popping” when I play records. When I remove the record from the platter, there is tremendous static build-up; holding the vinyl a few inches from my arm, causes all the hairs to stand up. This seems to be case with ALL my records. I have attempted to clean a few with Groove Glide, but to no avail – they still hiss and crackle. Mind you, these records played just fine on my old turntable – the occasional pop and hiss is to be expected. I have had the needle and mixer checked-out, and both seem to be just fine; independently, everything works fine. Everything is properly grounded.

I brought my set up to the local audio store, and their vinyl seemed to play fine. When I got home… more hissing, crackling and lots of static. Do I live in some sort of static-zone? Any advice?

In advance, I appreciate any insight.

J

jawilljr

Banned
poploser said:
Hello all.
I recently purchased a new turntable, Numark’s TT-200. Much to my dismay, there is excessive crackling and “popping” when I play records. When I remove the record from the platter, there is tremendous static build-up; holding the vinyl a few inches from my arm, causes all the hairs to stand up. This seems to be case with ALL my records. I have attempted to clean a few with Groove Glide, but to no avail – they still hiss and crackle. Mind you, these records played just fine on my old turntable – the occasional pop and hiss is to be expected. I have had the needle and mixer checked-out, and both seem to be just fine; independently, everything works fine. Everything is properly grounded.

I brought my set up to the local audio store, and their vinyl seemed to play fine. When I got home… more hissing, crackling and lots of static. Do I live in some sort of static-zone? Any advice?

In advance, I appreciate any insight.
Use the Milty Zerostat before playing the LP. It works great at removing static fom the vinyl.

Jerry

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
They still make the Zerostat? Cool!

Another suggestion: install a humidifier (or check to see that yours is working)! If you have that much static electricity something is amiss. I'm guessing you live in an arid climate. Not a problem in the muggy Michigan summers.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
How would the climate explain the fact that he hadn't had this problem previously? I guess that zerostat gun could be a solution, but what could be the problem?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis