Turntable Diagnosis

N

nancymmyers

Audiophyte
I have not used my turntable in many years. However, I just purchased a new receiver (Onkyo TX-SR507) for my 5.1 System and I want to revive my turntable (Model 6210 MCS Series [Digital 5000]). Using the Behringer PP400 Phono Preamp and the Aux Audio inputs on the front of my receiver, I conected my turntable and I tried to play a record. The stylus just skidded across the entire record (which I had cleaned with a cleaning cloth). The needle never landed on a groove to actually play the record or initiate any sound. On touching the needle's tip, I did get an audio response so I assume that the connection with the receiver was valid.

Can this turntable be revived? Is it possible that the cartridge needs to be replaced or just the stylus? Where might I find and purchase these parts? Does the entire turntable need to be sent in for repair? Would it be worthwhile to spend any money on my present turntable? I appreciate any help that you can give as I am completely a newbie at understanding the workings of a turntable.:confused:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

The first thing that popped into my mind (as someone who also hasn't used a turntable in many years) is the setting of the counterweight (might not be the proper term) on the opposite end of the tone arm. Do you have an adjustable knob on the other end of the arm? Do you have the owner's manual for that turntable to look up how to set it? (I'll see if I can find the manual.)

N

nancymmyers

Audiophyte
Have Owner's Manual - no knob

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing that popped into my mind (as someone who also hasn't used a turntable in many years) is the setting of the counterweight (might not be the proper term) on the opposite end of the tone arm. Do you have an adjustable knob on the other end of the arm? Do you have the owner's manual for that turntable to look up how to set it? (I'll see if I can find the manual.)
Thank you very much, Adam

I looked at the turntable and the owner's manual but this turntable does not have an adjustable counterweight knob. The owner's manual does not even show the part. Perhaps this turntable is ready for retirement? Any and all help is appreciated.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you very much, Adam

I looked at the turntable and the owner's manual but this turntable does not have an adjustable counterweight knob. The owner's manual does not even show the part. Perhaps this turntable is ready for retirement? Any and all help is appreciated.
Boy, if it doesn't have a way to adjust the balance to the required weight for the cartridge, it is a very inexpensive TT and will certainly eat your records in a hurry if the arm would make contact;)
You would also need adjustment for anti-skating as well.
Yes, if you have a large vinyl collection and are interested in breathing life into them, might be best to get a good one, used or new.
Have you found your TT on line someplace so we can see a picture of it?

N

nancymmyers

Audiophyte
Boy, if it doesn't have a way to adjust the balance to the required weight for the cartridge, it is a very inexpensive TT and will certainly eat your records in a hurry if the arm would make contact;)
You would also need adjustment for anti-skating as well.
Yes, if you have a large vinyl collection and are interested in breathing life into them, might be best to get a good one, used or new.
Have you found your TT on line someplace so we can see a picture of it?
I haven't found a picture of the TT online any place but it is a component model (JC Penney brand) that fits on the top shelf of my audio equipment cabinet with a hinged lid (part of the cabinet) above it and I would prefer a better quality replacement of the same basic dimensions (16-7/8" x 4" x 14 13/16" -- these were as stated in the manual). What would constitute a good used TT and where could I get one that would be suitable for my component arrangement? I'm assuming that trying to fix my present TT would not be worthwhile since it is an inexpensive TT at best. I appreciate your input.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I haven't found a picture of the TT online any place but it is a component model (JC Penney brand) that fits on the top shelf of my audio equipment cabinet with a hinged lid (part of the cabinet) above it and I would prefer a better quality replacement of the same basic dimensions (16-7/8" x 4" x 14 13/16" -- these were as stated in the manual). What would constitute a good used TT and where could I get one that would be suitable for my component arrangement? I'm assuming that trying to fix my present TT would not be worthwhile since it is an inexpensive TT at best. I appreciate your input.
That turntable is probably the last one left of that brand. They were a poor budget outfit.

I would choose a turntable from Needle Doctor. I thoroughly recommend them.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes, most likely it is not even repairable anymore and not worth it.
Go with what TLS suggested as I don't follow the TTs anymore. :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What's your budget if you choose to get a new table?

One can get a good budget table for around $500.00 . I would stay away from automatic turntables as teh dollars went into the automation mechanism as opposed to a manual turntable where the money wwent into bearings and tonearms .

dougg

dougg

Junior Audioholic
Go Used?

I didn't want ot spend a bundle on a New Turntable and got a HK T20 off E-Bay and couldn't be Happier. It had a New Audio Technica Cart. and Stylus. I replaced the Belt and it is good as new. I did want Semi Auto so the New Table choice was limited to many New ones with bad Reviews without paying 400.00 Plus!
Here is one that looks to be decent.
I got my E-Bay T20 for $76.00 Shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170338434130

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis