Turntable at higher volume issue

J

jussig

Enthusiast
Hi there,

My name is Jussi, I am very new to the amazing world of "audio" and this is my very first post. I apologize in advance if i sound like i don't know what I am talking about because I probably have no idea what i am talking about. I really appreciate any advice I can get.

I am running my Rega P3 turntable via Marantz 2325 and Emotiva BasX a-100 (connected via either "phono" or "aux") with the Klipsch RF7 version I speakers. At higher volume the speakers start to make terrible, crackling noise like they are maxing out. When i play music via AUX through my Ipad I can play it as loud as my windows allow me. It is only when using the turntable. Any recommendations, please? Thank you.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
How close is your turntable to your speakers, and what is it sitting on?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
A phono cartridge doesn't provide high output, so it must be 'pre-amplified' in order for the main preamplifier section or device to be able to send a useful signal level to the power amplifier. This applies whether you have a separate preamp & power amp, receiver or integrated amplifier. This means that if the output from the speakers is high enough, it will affect the LP and/or cartridge to the point that the sound will be passed to the Phono input, again. The cartridge is acting as a microphone and when the signal comes out of the speakers & re-enters the signal path, it's called 'feedback'. At some point, you might hear one loud note along with the music and if the volume control isn't turned down, the volume of the sound will increase uncontrollably. If that happens, you need to turn the volume level down- if you don't, you risk damaging your speakers and possible, other parts of the system.

Your receiver has a Low Filter- this is specifically for turntable use and you should always leave it engaged when using the Rega. It shouldn't adversely affect the sound of the other sources.

Don't place the turntable on top of any other electronics, make sure it's on a sturdy shelf or in a heavy cabinet and make sure it's not in line with the front of the speakers. Also, if moving the turntable to an adjacent room, you can't do that by just adding length to the cables because of the extremely low output from the cartridge.

If you do want to move it farther away, post that- it can be done, but it needs to be done correctly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, is the external amp using the pre-outs on the 2325? Why are you using an external amp?

I'd go with the assumption of feedback using the turntable without knowing more, tho. Using that low filter would be a good move.

J

jussig

Enthusiast
Curious, is the external amp using the pre-outs on the 2325? Why are you using an external amp?

I'd go with the assumption of feedback using the turntable without knowing more, tho. Using that low filter would be a good move.
I mostly use the pre amp for my Sennheiser HD650 headphones as they were not getting enough power they sound incredible with the BasX ... i dont think i need to use it with my turntable

J

jussig

Enthusiast
UPDATE: Thank you everyone for your replies I really appreciate it

1. The turntable was slightly too close to the right speaker so i moved it
2. it was also sitting on the media console above the receiver, moved it away
3. some of the cables in the back were touching, separated them
4. I am using "low filter" now every time playing a record

Problem solved The system sounds amazing again, the only limitations are the windows and neighbors :)

The next house will have a windowless audio-designated room.

thank you so much.

J

jussig

Enthusiast
A phono cartridge doesn't provide high output, so it must be 'pre-amplified' in order for the main preamplifier section or device to be able to send a useful signal level to the power amplifier. This applies whether you have a separate preamp & power amp, receiver or integrated amplifier. This means that if the output from the speakers is high enough, it will affect the LP and/or cartridge to the point that the sound will be passed to the Phono input, again. The cartridge is acting as a microphone and when the signal comes out of the speakers & re-enters the signal path, it's called 'feedback'. At some point, you might hear one loud note along with the music and if the volume control isn't turned down, the volume of the sound will increase uncontrollably. If that happens, you need to turn the volume level down- if you don't, you risk damaging your speakers and possible, other parts of the system.

Your receiver has a Low Filter- this is specifically for turntable use and you should always leave it engaged when using the Rega. It shouldn't adversely affect the sound of the other sources.

Don't place the turntable on top of any other electronics, make sure it's on a sturdy shelf or in a heavy cabinet and make sure it's not in line with the front of the speakers. Also, if moving the turntable to an adjacent room, you can't do that by just adding length to the cables because of the extremely low output from the cartridge.

If you do want to move it farther away, post that- it can be done, but it needs to be done correctly.
Do i need to get an additional device (pre amp) in order to receive proper signal for the receiver from the turntable?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mostly use the pre amp for my Sennheiser HD650 headphones as they were not getting enough power they sound incredible with the BasX ... i dont think i need to use it with my turntable
I was mostly curious as that external amp isn't as powerful as your receiver as well as your description of how connected, didn't think about headphones. Your receiver's phono section should be fine assuming your cartridge is MM type.

J

jussig

Enthusiast
I was mostly curious as that external amp isn't as powerful as your receiver as well as your description of how connected, didn't think about headphones. Your receiver's phono section should be fine assuming your cartridge is MM type.
That's correct the external amp is not needed for the turntable, it works without it just fine

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's correct the external amp is not needed for the turntable, it works without it just fine
Usually the external amp is more about use of speakers, not headphones. Probably better solutions for headphones and use the receiver as intended without the Emotiva thing....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do i need to get an additional device (pre amp) in order to receive proper signal for the receiver from the turntable?
I addressed that- the Marantz has a phono preamp so no, you don't need anything else.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis