Tuner antenna problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just curious if most people use the supplied antennas that come with their receivers or do they upgrade their antennas? I have a Yamaha TX-497 tuner that I run in one of the inputs on my receiver and the stations come in terrible!

Any suggestions on what might be wrong or good antennas to buy? I saw this one on Vann's website that looked okay.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/750019241/terk-am-fm?s_c=site_search
How well your tuner receives the signal depends on where the broadcast antenna is and the terrain between your tuner and it. If you're too close, you can have worse reception with more antenna than with a skinny, useless POS antenna wire like the ones that come with tuners and receivers. Best bet- try rabbit ears or an antenna in your attic and if the signal is too strong, use some kind of attenuator. A directional antenna is best but, again, your location has everything to do with how well it receives the signal. That, and the quality of the tuner.

F

finfan1966

Audioholic Intern
I live in an apartment so going up in the attic is kind of out of the question. The channels that are not coming in good are local channels that should come in no problem.

Maybe I will just try the built in tuner on the receiver instead.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I live in an apartment so going up in the attic is kind of out of the question. The channels that are not coming in good are local channels that should come in no problem.

Apartment, as in duplex/4 unit? If so, you should find a space around the chimney that would be more than large enough to feed a coax to the attic. There's always an access panel to the attic unless the roof is flat. Otherwise, get a set of rabbit ears from Rat Shack and see if they help.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord

What does this secone line mean? Look at it this way: An antenna is to a tuner what gasoline is to a car. The latter is useless without the former.

Those freebie antennas may or may not work in all areas. Get at least a pair of rabbit ears and play around with positioning them.

P.S. Sometimes renters aren't granted access to the entire property.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis