Trying To Understand REW and Mini DSP

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
My unsolicited opinion is that while Audyssey does add a measurable differenc... the mini DSP does help. Despite people panning Audyssey, I've measured subs and mains, combined, as singles, grouped, and it does improve things.

The mini does wonders on my 4 subs. Even with Audyssey they could be pretty wompy (yes,that's a word) but after a lot of measuring and the use of low/ high pass filters, they punch much better.

On a side note the MiniDSP kit w/mic is a relatively cheap EQ box. Lots of adjustments. I incidentally found it highly educational. That alone makes it with it for me. It can be time consuming but if you haven't used such a device I guarantee you will learn a lot about what your sound "looks like".

I will now go back to watching the new crappy version of Point Break. Cherrio.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My unsolicited opinion is that while Audyssey does add a measurable differenc... the mini DSP does help. Despite people panning Audyssey, I've measured subs and mains, combined, as singles, grouped, and it does improve things.

The mini does wonders on my 4 subs. Even with Audyssey they could be pretty wompy (yes,that's a word) but after a lot of measuring and the use of low/ high pass filters, they punch much better.

On a side note the MiniDSP kit w/mic is a relatively cheap EQ box. Lots of adjustments. I incidentally found it highly educational. That alone makes it with it for me. It can be time consuming but if you haven't used such a device I guarantee you will learn a lot about what your sound "looks like".

So wompy is a combo of wonky and wimpy? :) I like...

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
So wompy is a combo of wonky and wimpy? :) I like...

Yes. Wimpy, wompy, buuuuurp, bwaaahh. W/o EQ these subs sound like they have been sucking on too much baby formula. Sloughing sails.With the MiniDSP...?like a corset. Much tighter. ✌!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

This is what I'm considering doing. I already have the equipment. I just need to know where to start. I haven't used REW for anything but taking measurements.

W

Winkleswizard

Audioholic

Sounds like you have a great application for a minidsp. Aside from some caveats that I stated previously, I have learned a lot from using them too.

While the number of subwoofers you have calls for adding the minidsp, I would not add before checking what customizations one's current AVR or processor has.

To do the job well, my experience was that I had to measure and remeasure and I was only doing 2 subwoofers. How many measurements did you have to do and do you have Audyssey Sub Eq? I do not have the Sub Eq feature and wondered if it is worth getting? Am in the process of replacing my subs and am trying to determine whether I should upgrade my AVR...

Ww

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
This is what I'm considering doing. I already have the equipment. I just need to know where to start. I haven't used REW for anything but taking measurements.

So you have a mini already, right? Then read and re-read the manual. With the two subs you can combine them in mono or a stereo signal with DSP settings for each.

I found REW and the mini setup to be loathsome but there is a butt load (also a word) of info about it on this site and others. They also have a forum listed on their website.

Presently I have the mini stuck in between the sub pre out and the subs. I have the option for the standard sub preout and a LFE out but I'm running all four as a single group. I'll split these up some time soon so as to run them in two separate groups.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Sounds like you have a great application for a minidsp. Aside from some caveats that I stated previously, I have learned a lot from using them too.

While the number of subwoofers you have calls for adding the minidsp, I would not add before checking what customizations one's current AVR or processor has.

To do the job well, my experience was that I had to measure and remeasure and I was only doing 2 subwoofers. How many measurements did you have to do and do you have Audyssey Sub Eq? I do not have the Sub Eq feature and wondered if it is worth getting? Am in the process of replacing my subs and am trying to determine whether I should upgrade my AVR...

Ww
My Denon has sub EQ, distance, levels. Not very familiar with AVRs that don't have some sort of sub EQ, so I can't speak to that.The Denons' Audessy takes up to 8 measurements for calibration. After measuring Audessy with REW on, the time alignment is very good with the mains at the Xover.

If you are getting better subs and the AVR is going to be the weak link then you know what you need to do. Bite that bullet. It's only money.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Everyone seems to be thinking of minidsp products as solution for sub eqs. It might be more relevant for subs but with some of minidsp products, like nano minidsp you can apply corrections to all 8 channels in your system.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Everyone seems to be thinking of minidsp products as solution for sub eqs. It might be more relevant for subs but with some of minidsp products, like nano minidsp you can apply corrections to all 8 channels in your system.
And now I'm kicking myself for not investing in that particular model. I may buy another mini for the mains and center. Yeah, that feels good just to think about. That said...learning lessons is rarely cheap.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no experience with YPAO, but I can tell you Audyssey XT32+Editor App trumps minidsp+REW for sure, and I am only talking about the 2X4 HD. I highly doubt the nano for 8 channel can do any better. Like Pogre, I did try using the minidsp together with Audyssey and was able to improve a couple dips by 0.5 to 1 dB but it also made things slightly worse in other areas. Now if you intend to use minidsp with Dirac Live, then that's a different story, whether the potentially incremental (may be more if YPAO is not as good as Audyssey) improvements are worth the big $ is another story.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
I have no experience with YPAO, but I can tell you Audyssey XT32+Editor App trumps minidsp+REW for sure, and I am only talking about the 2X4 HD. I highly doubt the nano for 8 channel can do any better. Like Pogre, I did try using the minidsp together with Audyssey and was able to improve a couple dips by 0.5 to 1 dB but it also made things slightly worse in other areas. Now if you intend to use minidsp with Dirac Live, then that's a different story, whether the potentially incremental (may be more if YPAO is not as good as Audyssey) improvements are worth the big $ is another story.
Old thread, but a good one. I'm still of the idea of using Mini DSP to smooth out the biggest offender bumps, which I have a massive one at 60, and *then* run Audyssey and it simply gives a better result. I haven't run Audyssey with the editor app, so I can't say much about that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Old thread, but a good one. I'm still of the idea of using Mini DSP to smooth out the biggest offender bumps, which I have a massive one at 60, and *then* run Audyssey and it simply gives a better result. I haven't run Audyssey with the editor app, so I can't say much about that.
You are right, wonder why that thread suddenly popped up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It maybe more room specific than saying using separate eq for the subs simply doesn't do as well as Audyssey alone....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That just because you didn't find it beneficial, doesn't mean in other setups/rooms that others wouldn't....
You know I often say the same myself. in this case I thought I had (after the fact) done a lot of reading and realized the different capability of different types of filters. You can't expect the equalizers generated by REW to be as effective as Audyssey, Dirac, Trinnov, Anthem ARC's. I suggest you read the Audioholics.com's interview with Anthem, Audyssey, and Dirac's founders. I also never discount the benefits of using minidsp, in fact I did say "Now if you intend to use minidsp with Dirac Live, then that's a different story.........." I also never said minidsp+REW equalizers would not benefit someone either. Pogre, ATL, (and I to some extent) obviously found it beneficial, but they both use it along with Audyssey, not just by itself, in order to maximize the benefits. We are not going to agree on everything, but in this case I think we are actually quite agreeable.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You know I often say the same myself. in this case I thought I had (after the fact) done a lot of reading and realized the different capability of different types of filters. You can't expect the equalizers generated by REW to be as effective as Audyssey, Dirac, Trinnov, Anthem ARC's. I suggest you read the Audioholics.com's interview with Anthem, Audyssey, and Dirac's founders. I also never discount the benefits of using minidsp, in fact I did say "Now if you intend to use minidsp with Dirac Live, then that's a different story.........." I also never said minidsp+REW equalizers would not benefit someone either. Pogre, ATL, (and I to some extent) obviously found it beneficial, but they both use it along with Audyssey, not just by itself, in order to maximize the benefits. We are not going to agree on everything, but in this case I think we are actually quite agreeable.:)
LOL I went back and re-read....my original read was wrong! We're in agreement. Sorry about that!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, this has worked best for me too. I’ve tried audyssey first but rew first just works better for me. In fact, I’m kinda disappointed in xt32 by itself.

I’d like to scrap my whole EQ, meaning rew/audyssey/minidsp and spend a day starting at zero and rally digging in. I only end up with a couple hours at a time, and while I do have good results, I have a few theories I’d like to try in my space. But I know if I try and it sux, I’ll be stuck until I can get time lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, this has worked best for me too. I’ve tried audyssey first but rew first just works better for me. In fact, I’m kinda disappointed in xt32 by itself.

I’d like to scrap my whole EQ, meaning rew/audyssey/minidsp and spend a day starting at zero and rally digging in. I only end up with a couple hours at a time, and while I do have good results, I have a few theories I’d like to try in my space. But I know if I try and it sux, I’ll be stuck until I can get time lol.
Curious, you have the app and can limit or just regular XT32 like me and my old 4520?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious, you have the app and can limit or just regular XT32 like me and my old 4520?
Yep. I do have the app. Funny, just today I changed it from 300hz limited to full(20khz) and the difference was sooooo small on my rew screen I’m not sure it measured differently at all. I’d like to spend some more time with that because in the past, audyssey on/off has had a bit difference in sound. Seems like limiting hasn’t had much effect, but bypass L/R do like.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis