Trying to overcome Surround Speaker placement problem

A

alumiu90

Junior Audioholic
I am having a problem with locating my future surround speakers to the side of my listening area because of a low soffit in my basement. If I instead located them on the back wall of my listening area pointed forward in the location I would normally locate the 7.1 rear speakers would that create an issues? I would then have a 5.1 system, but instead of mounting the rear speakers on the sidewall and low ceiling of the soffit on one side they would be mounted on the rear wall of the listening area.

Or looking for recommendations on a good set of "small" satellite speakers where one would be mounted to the side wall and the other the soffit ceiling. Because of the low hanging ceiling mount I can not go with bookshelf speakers, etc. Room is 15' x 24' with 8' ceiling except for soffit area which is 7 foot. They would be paired with the following:

Yamaha rx-v673
Pioneer Andrew Jones FS52's
Pioneer Andrew Jones CP22 Center
Bic Acoustech PL-200 Subwoofer or BIC H100

Thanks.

Last edited:
ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
there are plenty of small speakers out there, and surround speakers don't have to be of the greatest quality, I have seen decent systems that use plastic yamaha speakers for surrounds and sound fine...

these little guys may work for you, the curved cabinets help with placement... Dayton Audio SAT-BK Satellite Speaker Pair Black 300-670 do you have a picture of the room?

T

TheStalker

Banned
I don't know... Isn't that kind of thinking a bit mid 90s? The dynamic range in today's lossless Blu-ray soundtracks is equal in all channels. Take Oblivion, for example: At close to reference volume, cheap plastic Yamaha speakers would bottom out, or distort majorly in the rear. Even if the filter is set to 80Hz, or so. That movie has an incredible soundtrack, with very active rear channels. As active as the front L/R I would say.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis