true wattage output

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
I Read a post on another site that home theater magazines did a comparison of the pioneer receiver & Yamaha, there results for true wattage output on the pioneer was 115 watts per channel and the Yamaha was 40 watts. Below is the original post and HTM findings on the 2400, now I am wondering is the pioneer a better choice.

"I'd give the Pioneer Elite 52TX or standard Pioneer 1014TX a look. Their the same receiver sold under the two different Pioneer lines. They have all of the features of the Yamaha 1500 (Auto setup and room eq, component video upconversion, PLIIx) and tested by HT Magazine to actually put out 115 watts per channel (the Yamaha 2400 was tested around 40 actual watts per channel). The 1014TX is available for as little as $400 online, $475 at Best Buy, and the 52TX goes from $700 - $800 at authorized Elite dealers. The 1014TX is an amazing value with an extremely powerful amp section and all the most current features."

HT Labs Measures: Yamaha RX-V2400 A/V Receiver

(THE GRAPH DID NOT COPY OVER)

This graph shows that the RX-V2400's left channel, from CD input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at 102.9 watts and 1% distortion at 130.5 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 158.4 watts and 1% distortion at 195.3 watts. With five channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 43.5 watts and 1% distortion at 44.1 watts. With seven channels driving 8-ohm loads, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 32.3 watts and 1% distortion at 36.9 watts.

The analog frequency response measures –0.09 decibels at 20 hertz and –0.08 dB at 20 kilohertz. Looking at a broader bandwidth, the response measures –0.20 dB at 10 Hz and –0.54 dB at 50 kHz. In modes that involve signal processing, the response is –0.38 dB at 10 Hz, –0.17 dB at 20 Hz, –0.10 dB at 20 kHz, and –47.90 dB at 50 kHz. Response from the multichannel input to the speaker output measures –0.20 dB at 10 Hz, –0.09 dB at 20 Hz, –0.08 dB at 20 kHz, and –0.57 dB at 50 kHz. THD+N from the amplifier was less than 0.020% at 1 kHz when driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load. Crosstalk at 1 kHz driving 2.83 volts into an 8-ohm load was –87.80 dB left to right and –83.69 dB right to left. The signal-to-noise ratio with 2.83 volts driving an 8-ohm load from 10 Hz to 24 kHz with "A" weighting was –99.52 dBrA.

From the Dolby Digital input to the loudspeaker output, the left channel measures –0.15 dB at 20 Hz and –0.12 dB at 20 kHz. The center channel measures –0.10 dB at 20 Hz and –0.15 dB at 20 kHz, and the left surround channel measures –0.10 dB at 20 Hz and –0.16 dB at 20 kHz. From the Dolby Digital input to the line-level output, the LFE channel is +0.11 dB at 20 Hz when referenced to the level at 40 Hz and reaches the upper 3-dB down point at 96 Hz and the upper 6-dB down point at 117 Hz.—MJP

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
But HTM tested the Pioneer, and a few other ones (including the 3805 that did 5X114.9W and 1X218.4 at 0.1%) the same way, and they all did much better than the RX-V2400 in 5 channels. So i guess the 2400 must have some sort of limiter in it.

superman180

superman180

Audioholic
Wow! What a fast response, Thank you. I am very indecisive when making a purchase especially when it is a costly one like a receiver, so my ears perk up when I see a comparison like this one. So what I have gathered is that more than likely the above test was probably an unfair comparison and I should not let it Cloud my decision.
I absolutely love this site for all the great information & people that are here, please forgive me if I post redundant questions, sometimes I get a little overloaded with the information that is already available. I hope to someday understand audio enough to actually answer questions rather than always asking. Thank you Again! Audioholic in training!! :D

V

vermintrex

Enthusiast
gene said:
There is a reason why the Yammie amp had such low output in 5/7 channels test mode and the reason is in the following article:

The All Channels Driven Test Controversy
If I understand the article correctly it's basically saying that having all channels driven, playing a continuous test signal is not a realistic real world scenario. I agree.

However, assuming that HT Labs tested each reciever's amp section under the same conditions, then it would appear that the Pioneer and Denon amps were able to deliver more watts driving all channels playing a continous test tone than the Yamaha RXV-2400. This would suggest that regardless of the unrealistic scenario, the Pioneer and Denon amp sections are stronger. If the features on the Pioneer or Denon matched those on the Yamaha, I guess I would pick either of the former due to their better amp sections.

Pretty simple if you ask me, but then again, maybe I'm just simple.

vermin

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Vermin,
I'm no way suggesting that you are simple, but the simplest question is: Which one sounds better and has the features that best fit the intended application?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Vermintrex that the RX-V2400 appear to put out less power under the presumably same test conditions. However, the Denon, Pioneer, and HK models tested by HTM in August do cost much more than the Yamaha.

V

vermintrex

Enthusiast
NomoSony said:
Vermin,
I'm no way suggesting that you are simple, but the simplest question is: Which one sounds better and has the features that best fit the intended application?
I agree, sort of.

Since, to my ears, all mid-fi receivers I've ever managed to audition on the same speakers, same room and same source material have sounded almost identical, I would tend to ask this simple question: Which one has the features that best fit the intended application and has the most robust power supply and amplifier section ? But that's just me.

vermin

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
superman180 said:
I am very indecisive when making a purchase especially when it is a costly one like a receiver, so my ears perk up when I see a comparison like this one. :D

Some would say that haste makes waste :D And, selecting audio components is not time sensitive; you will not starve or die trying to decide ;)
So, take your time and research like this site, the best?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis