Trolls and Flame Wars

<font color='#000080'>Trolling
The practice of trying to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar &quot;bait.&quot;

Openly bashing a particular company or piece of gear without providing any specific details or reasons would be an example of a troll. Like this: &quot;Receivers suck, only separates are worth listening to.&quot; No reason is given as to why the poster believes receivers suck. The post is designed solely to elicit a response.

Some other things we absolutely despise here at AH:
<ul><li>Threatening someone (i.e. &quot;Wonder what your boss would think of all the time you spend online here at Audioholics&quot;)<li>posting under more than one login to support your own arguments<li>posting links solely to advertise your product or business</ul>We're pretty easygoing here, and will most likely leave anything go in the Steam Vent, unless it is a threat or profanity - which has no place here. As for the other forums, we do not like to censor, but if a topic goes completely off-base and turns into a personal vendetta, then warnings will be issued and posts deleted, or threads locked.

Remember, this is just a forum - it's not your life. Have fun, enjoy home theater and lets talk about what's on our minds.

This is not a place to bend others to your absolute will, but a great place to compile the collective knowledge of audio/video enthusiasts.

Thank you, drive through...</font>

A

avidaudio

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I agree wholeheartedly. &nbsp;Advertisements disguised as posts, questions posted by those who have a computer and plenty of free time (but NO audio gear) and attempts to develop a &quot;mythology&quot; about a certain piece of gear or tube are abhorrent. &nbsp;Tubes Asylum is rampant with trolls, shills, and disguised ads. &nbsp;A good example is the now widely accepted notion that &quot;a 5751 is a 12AX7 with 3db less gain.&quot; &nbsp;I began seeing this about 5-7 years ago as stocks good European and US 12AX7s began drying up. &nbsp;Yes; and a 12AT7 is a 12AX7 with 3dbs less gain, as a 12AU7 is... you get the idea. &nbsp;A 5751 has an amplification factor of 70, versus 100 for a 12AX7; just becuse a tube will plug into a soxket meant for a different tube and produces audio does not make it an equivalent. &nbsp;This is exaggeration, but &quot;a 5751 is a 12AX7 with 3dbs. less gain&quot; is a RADICALLY misleading and factually questionable statement.</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I find the prohibition against discussing politics, religion, and government most distressing. This makes it impossible to have an open, honest dialogue on the burning issue of whether the new Iraqi constitution should allow gay marriage! :p

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Yeah Rip,, Lefty old boy, I would love to get into it with ya :) On second thought the less we talk about it the longer we can remain friends, Agreed? :D

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I frequent another site now and then that has a political forum and it get's pretty heated sometimes. I find it tends to spill over into the other forums in terms of bad blood and attitudes. I actually like that this site stays out of politics. So, in that light, I am concservative, I like Bush, I agree with the Iraq War, I'm against gay marriage, but I am somewhat pro-choice with some exceptions and I think expensive cables are a waste of money. There, it's all out there. Hate me or like me, I don't care. But that's all I will ever reveal. :D

Shinerman! :eek:

U

Unregistered

Shinerman,

I'll bet you'll reveal more as the months and years wear on....

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

It seems to me that almost without exception, having an area for political discussion will blow up in your face. It always spills into other forums and eventually the gloves come off and you have name calling, threats for litigation, etc etc. Best to leave the politics at the door.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
<font color='#000080'>Trolling
The practice of trying to lure other Internet users into sending responses to carefully-designed incorrect statements or similar &quot;bait.&quot;

Openly bashing a particular company or piece of gear without providing any specific details or reasons would be an example of a troll. Like this: &quot;Receivers suck, only separates are worth listening to.&quot; No reason is given as to why the poster believes receivers suck. The post is designed solely to elicit a response.

Some other things we absolutely despise here at AH:
<ul><li>Threatening someone (i.e. &quot;Wonder what your boss would think of all the time you spend online here at Audioholics&quot;)<li>posting under more than one login to support your own arguments<li>posting links solely to advertise your product or business</ul>We're pretty easygoing here, and will most likely leave anything go in the Steam Vent, unless it is a threat or profanity - which has no place here. As for the other forums, we do not like to censor, but if a topic goes completely off-base and turns into a personal vendetta, then warnings will be issued and posts deleted, or threads locked.

Remember, this is just a forum - it's not your life. Have fun, enjoy home theater and lets talk about what's on our minds.

This is not a place to bend others to your absolute will, but a great place to compile the collective knowledge of audio/video enthusiasts.

Thank you, drive through...</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis