Transformer for my receiver??

T

thecoolguy11

Audioholic Intern
OK, so this may not be a typical receiver related question, but I am still trying my luck. I have a Yam HTR5760 which I bought in Canada which I have now shipped back to India along with myself :) To make it work here in India, I need to buy a step down transformer since the voltage in India is 220V. When I went out the local market on my hunt for a transfomer, I was told that the one other consideration to keep in mind is the power requirement of the receiver. So I went back to the Yam site and here's what I got.
http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/Back_Panels/HTR_5760_Back_Panel.asp
This is the picture of the back panel which states that the power requirement is 370W.

According to the yamaha site FAQs, I need to add 25% to this and then buy a step down transformer that supports this power. They also mention that I should not buy a converter or an inverter. More details on
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/faqs/general/faq20b.htm

Here are my questions
1. What is the difference between a convertor and a transformer?
2. If I buy a 1000W step down transformer, will the receiver still work?
3. If I buy a 1000W step down transformer, and if the receiver only requires 500W, then can I connect my subwoofer and DVD player to the same transformer (provided the net power requirement is <1000W)
4. Is there any way that damage to the receiver is possible if I choose an incorrect transformer? I am OK if the transformer blows up, but what I don't want is my receiver blowing up.
5. How can using a converter or an inverter damage the system?

I know that this is not a typical receiver question, but if anyone has any information, please help.
Thanks

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
1. What is the difference between a convertor and a transformer?
A voltage converter is a generic term for many types of devices. The step-down and step-up transformers are the most common.

2. If I buy a 1000W step down transformer, will the receiver still work?
Yes

3. If I buy a 1000W step down transformer, and if the receiver only requires 500W, then can I connect my subwoofer and DVD player to the same transformer (provided the net power requirement is <1000W)
Yes. Depending on the power consumption of your sub you may need a larger unit. I would recommend that for example if you require 1000VA to add 50% for reliable operation and longevity. So you would need a 1500VA unit. Allied Electronics is a good source for step-down transformers:
http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=686.pdf

4. Is there any way that damage to the receiver is possible if I choose an incorrect transformer? I am OK if the transformer blows up, but what I don't want is my receiver blowing up.
The step-down transformer should have an internal fuse which will limit your equipment from drawing more than the transformer was designed for. If you blow the fuse you will simply lose power to your receiver/equipment. It's pretty rare to have a transformer go bad without blowing the fuse, though I've seen it a few times. Usually on very old transformers where the insulation has broken down from years of use. A shorted transformer will create a lot of smoke!

5. How can using a converter or an inverter damage the system?
Inverters are used for converting from a DC voltage to an AC voltage. This application obviously won't work for you. There are two types. Solid state and rotary. The only place I've seen the rotary are when I worked on aircraft. They produce a pure sine wave output compared to the solid state types. I've used the solid state inverter on electronic equipment with no problems. Just be sure you use one that's rated higher than the equipment your using.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I don't get this.

Why would you need to plug your sub into the same transformer? Won't it work on local curreht?

A

AudioManiac

Audiophyte
220V issues

Hi Coolguy11,
I have had similar experience with my ONKYO receiver that I bought in USA and shipped to India. To answer your "How can using a converter or an inverter damage the system?". I purchased a Samsonite Travel companion from FRY electronics. The Voltage markerd on it was 80V-1600V (I don't remember any other detail as it was long time back). When I used this piece of crap with my ONKYO Amp. in India. everyone was so thrilled to see white smoke along with some burning smell coming out of my Precious Amp. I still have to find out how and why could this happen.
So, I know at least one way of damaging an Amp using some piece of crap voltage convertor. :)
Going forward..
here are a few observations i made while using Onkyo in 220V, 50hz regions

1. It runs hot. Very hot. After 2 hours of operation touching the amp can be a serious medical issue.
2. I noticed a distant hum
3. Getting a good step-down convertor can be a long term exploration. I tried 3 locally made step-downs, Only one of those worked Satisfactorily (somewhat).
4. Everytime any heavy-power euipment (like an electric -iron) was turned on the Unit turns itself down (I think its a surge protection mechanism in onkyo). The problem was there even when I used a CVT (Constant Voltage Transformer)
5. Everytime I tried turning on the volume beyond "38", the Unit will turn itself off. The same was true when the system had to pump out loud sound/Heavy bass or action scenes.
I used three Bose Speakers (Centre channel, Rear L/R) and Sony PowerTower as Front L/R)
Any suggestions/advices?
Thanks!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
markw said:
Why would you need to plug your sub into the same transformer? Won't it work on local curreht?

He didn't expand on it but if he also bought a powered sub in Canada and it's amp doesn't have a converter switch, ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis