shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
So is there going to be a big difference between towers as mains and non-tower as surrounds vs non-towers all around,all with a good sub because just about no matter what,you set the mains to small anyway. Am i missing something? Can you get a non-tower speaker for the main fronts that will be clean down to around 40Hz-45Hz or so?

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
shokhead said:
So is there going to be a big difference between towers as mains and non-tower as surrounds vs non-towers all around,all with a good sub because just about no matter what,you set the mains to small anyway. Am i missing something?
Do you listen to much two channel music? If you do, (and your musical tastes run the gamut), then get the towers-you'll appreciate the fuller range a large cabinet provides. Also, many AVRs allow you the option of selecting whether or not to send the bass line to just the mains or mains and sub (predicated on size). My mains are set to "large", and receive the LFE in addition to the sub for movies...I usually cut out the sub for music.

shokhead said:
Can you get a non-tower speaker for the main fronts that will be clean down to around 40Hz-45Hz or so?
You know, there are quite a few towers (and quality ones at that), that don't reach down to 40 hertz *cleanly*, much less a bookcase speaker. It's not going to be easy to find a small cabinet unit (heh, heh, I said "unit") that pumps out bass to that level. Also, bear in mind that while a speaker might be rated to 60 Hz or such, they will still reach down an additional 10 to 20 hertz with a commesurate drop in dB (maybe a -6, or so). Go listen to a bunch of small (and tower) stuff with a CD you know well, and listen to some of the esoteric speakers too, just for comparison purposes. Four nice bookcase speakers w/ a quality sub and center have done a stellar job for both movies and music before.

Bryan...and it takes less juice to drive them, too...

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I've got speakers now,B&W603's as main and 6012's as surrounds and a 15" Klipsch sub. Im just thinking of 4 same speakers for main and surrounds that are not tower. The 603's are good down to around 50Hz or so and the sub down around 25Hz-28Hz at 110-115db or so.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
shokhead said:
So is there going to be a big difference between towers as mains and non-tower as surrounds vs non-towers all around,all with a good sub because just about no matter what,you set the mains to small anyway. Am i missing something? Can you get a non-tower speaker for the main fronts that will be clean down to around 40Hz-45Hz or so?
For affordable Towers (such as my Energy XL-250) yes, if you configure the LFE for BOTH (MAIN and Subwoofer) and you make the mains LARGE. But then, 40 Hz is barely audible for the Towers...but you have the sub!

In theory, it would be better to make your mains SMALL and the normal receiver crossover of 90 Hz (standard level) will direct frequencies below 90 Hz to the sub.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I think THX calls for 80Hz as standard but others are saying 60Hz as standard. Also yes,when you pick Main and LFE,your mains are getting the low LFE which most speakers are not able to do. I think when you pick just LFE then at the x over your mains are not subject to the strain of the LFE single.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Depends on the speakers. There isn't a set rule on when you should crossover, but it is in fact usually around 80Hz. 60Hz is a pretty low crossover point, but on some speakers that would be fine. Just depends on design of the speakers and also the room. My M&K S-150 THX's are crossed over to the sub at 80Hz. I setup my friends big ol' classic JBLs the other day and we crossed it over to the sub at 70Hz or thereabouts. We probably could have done it ever lower on those things.

-Chad

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis