Tower speaker off the ground

D

David Faulkner

Enthusiast
What are the downsides of placing floor standing speakers up on stands to bring the tweeter to ear level? I would imagine decreases in bass?

Thanks

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Pretty much. I have some big ol' speakers that lose several db in their lowest octaves (below 50 hz) when they're perched up on 1' stands.

Do you have REW to do some comparative measurements?

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
How would the bass decrease? Unless you're talking about something like JTR Noesis 215RT, there isn't sufficient low end extension from most tower speakers where decoupling them from the floor would result in any discernible difference in the bass.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I think that's the case. Cabin gain doesn't really work in typically sized rooms except at the lowest frequencies, so only speakers that dig deep really apply. My speakers are solid to the low 30's with useful output to the mid 20's. Floor coupling, proximity to nearby walls, or perched up on stands all result in pretty dramatic swings below 50 hz. Above that there is modal irregularities but no net increases, while below 50 there are considerable gains/losses realized depending on positioning, confirmed by measurements.

If the OP's speakers don't inherently dig as deep it would be less of an issue, and probably far less important than the improvements in soundstage/image gained by raising the speakers.

Last edited:
Dan Madden

Dan Madden

Audioholic
The whole fun in the pursuit of good audio is experimentation. I say go for it.....try it, and hear for yourself what the difference is. All I know is that speaker placement can make a huge difference in how they sound and perform. My guess is that by placing the towers on stands you are going to get quite a different presentation. You may like it......you may not. Give it a try !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis