L

Like_it_loud

Audiophyte
I purposely upgraded the soundcard in my computer so I can hook up my computer to my amp and play music via Windows Media Player (handy for parties where sound quality isn't so important but practicality is - means I can set up a playlist and not have to worry about my CD's getting ruined with people contsantantly changing them and not putting CD's away!).

But I digress. Anyway, my computer is in the next room and I need a 10 metre Toslink cable (the soundcard only has Toslink, no coax connection) to connect to the amp. I saw on this site that 20 feet is about as far as Toslink cable can go, and I've heard from other people that 6 metres is about the limit (so the same, essentially). But, 10 metre Toslink cables do exist. Does anyone have any first hand experience on whether they work over this distance? If so which product and where's the best place to buy it online?

Any help much appreciated. :confused:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like you might have to return your sound card and get one with a digital coax. There are plenty of inexpensive cards out there that have coax output. This is a good one from a semi-pro company (M-Audio): Clicky

L

Like_it_loud

Audiophyte
Thanks, but unfortunately I'm not in the USA, and this was in their FAQ:

"• Does Newegg.com ship internationally?
Newegg.com does not currently ship internationally. Presently we only deliver within the United States and Puerto Rico."

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Like_it_loud said:
my computer is in the next room and I need a 10 metre Toslink cable (the soundcard only has Toslink, no coax connection) to connect to the amp. I saw on this site that 20 feet is about as far as Toslink cable can go, and I've heard from other people that 6 metres is about the limit (so the same, essentially). But, 10 metre Toslink cables do exist. Does anyone have any first hand experience on whether they work over this distance? If so which product and where's the best place to buy it online?
Parts Express sells a possible solution, an optical-to-coaxial converter for 17.85 US$
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=180-961

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis