TOSLINK (Optical) Cable Problem

P

pizarroj

Audiophyte
What is a simple way to troubleshoot a toslink (optical) cable? Or how can you tell it has gone bad (minus the fact that no sound goes through)?

Setup:
Digital Audio OUT from TV
Digital Audio IN to AVR

The problem occured after I turned my receiver to attach a new device to my AVR. The toslink cable got accidentally pulled. Anyway, I re-attached the cable and now no sound. I checked the connectors and did not see any damage. However, I did notice that the connector on the AVR-end is now emitting a red light. The connector on the TV-end does not. Is that an indication that the cable has gone bad?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

~Jay

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
What is a simple way to troubleshoot a toslink (optical) cable? Or how can you tell it has gone bad (minus the fact that no sound goes through)?

Setup:
Digital Audio IN to AVR

The problem occured after I turned my receiver to attach a new device to my AVR. The toslink cable got accidentally pulled. Anyway, I re-attached the cable and now no sound. I checked the connectors and did not see any damage. However, I did notice that the connector on the AVR-end is now emitting a red light. The connector on the TV-end does not. Is that an indication that the cable has gone bad?

~Jay
Dunno how to troubleshoot a cable besides replacment with a known working one, but that red light is normal. That originates in the source (out) and is what the optical signal "rides" to the target (IN).

It's not a laser, though. It's only a LED.

Are you sure you have then in the right ports? You should see the red light on the end opposite the TV if you're sending from the TV to the AVR.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja

Setup:
Digital Audio IN to AVR

~Jay
I would not rule out the fact that the toslink input on your avr might be damaged. Do you have a second input you can connect the cable too in your AVR. Then you can diagnose if it is the cable or the receiver input.

Did you have your receiver on when you were attaching new cables to it?

Last edited:
P

pizarroj

Audiophyte
I'll double check the connections but I did use the other audio input and remember not hearing any sound. And the AVR was on when adding the new device (component video) but at that time, the toslink was already disconnected.

And yes, the red light is on the AVR side.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis