Toshiba releases blue-laser technology DVD

<font color='#008080'>Some of you may have been following this - Audioholics certainly has, as blue-laser DVDs promise greater storage, and high-definition resolution playback. From the original article <blockquote>The disc -- which will be introduced at the Optical Storage 2003 conference in Vancouver, Canada, next week -- is the same physical size as a CD or DVD and is capable of storing up to 36GB of data. It is one of two rewritable disc types that make up the initial AOD format proposal, the other being a single-sided disc capable of storing 20GB. The AOD format also includes 15GB and 30GB read-only disc types.</blockquote>We are really looking forward to this and hope to review a Toshiba player before too long. At a $3800 price tag, there will be a bit of a wait before the format hits the main stream.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Does this mean I should hold on and wait as I was intending to buy the Yamaha DVD-S2300 DVD/SACD player.</font>

<font color='#008080'>No, it will take quite some time for this format to evolve - not to mention having software be available for it. You're safe with any purchase you make right now.

The only thing I would make sure of, is that you purchase a unit with a firewire interface to keep you compatible with the future amplifiers/receivers which should sport the 1394 interface...</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks hawke,

So it is off to the Yamaha dealer for me. Will keep you posted on the results.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Will a blue laser disc be able to hold a full length movie in high defenition video with an SACD or DVD-A soundtrack?</font>

<font color='#008080'>In theory it will hold high def with the currently available 5.1, 6.12 & EX audio tracks.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I guess from a technology progression perspective the "blue lazer" players are the answer to the d/vhs decks presently available albeit with much greater flexibility.

I presently use the HOLO3D PCI computer card from Immersive vid scaler which takes any 480i output from a vcr/lzr/cacbe or sat box.interlaced dvd player and scales the 480i to any rez that my display can handel.

It scales a dvd to 1080i on my set and is almost indistinguishable fom a HD broadcast of the same material.
So before I invest in blue lazer there willhave tobe a great deal of value added stuff, not to mention a huge price drop.

Peter m.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I have been following the Blu-Ray vs AOD thing for a short while. Now I discovered there is another blue laser technology proposed to the DVD forum, this time from the Advanced Optical Storage Research Alliance (AOSRA) in Taiwan.

The two standards proposed are:

The Blue-HD-DVD-1 disk will have a capacity of 17 Gbytes per side and a maximum data-transfer rate of 25.05 Mbits/second. The Blue-HD-DVD-2 disk has a 27-Gbyte capacity and a data-transfer rate of 31.59 Mbits/s.

However another announcement by Ritek in Taiwan seems to be even more promising. They have developed a 100G disk that used the standard red lasers used in CD/DVD players today. According to Ritek "The only hardware change that's necessary to accommodate the disc's higher storage capacity is an upgrade to the player's chip set that supports the smaller mark size." That sounds good to me, if I buy a player today with an RS-232 input or similar, I can update the software when the new disks come to market. And they have much more capacity than the blue laser types.

Paul</font>

<font color='#000080'>If that's true - it also means that current technology is useable by manufacturers with only a chipset replacement/upgrade. Better for the consumer, and would result in a "faster to market" implementation.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis