Top middle or rear surround speakers?

R

redbirdm

Audiophyte
Hi folks,

I'm new to this forum, hoping to learn more about audio setups. I need advice from true audioholics as I'm kinda stuck here.

Short version: I need to decide between ceiling top speakers and rear surround speakers.

Long version: Here is my setup (please view the pictures attached):
front.png
back.png
left.png
right.png

This is a finished basement about 900sf with carpeted floors and a suspended ceiling. Home theater setup is used for movies and general music in the entertainment area.
Ceiling height - 7.2'
Screen size - 125"
Distance from middle couch seat to the screen - 11.5'
Distance from middle seat to the left speaker - 14.5'
Distance to the right speaker - 13.8'
Also, there are two temporary crappy floor speakers right behind the couch.
All speakers are polk audio S55, S35 and s15 except for temp back speakers that I want to replace. Sub is Bic America F12.
Receiver is DENON AVR-X3500

The basement room has the staircase in the middle of the room, so the only way to put the couch is right next to the staircase wall (see pic above).

So, my dilemma is that I wanted to install back surround speakers in the back wall behind the couch. But the wall is only a foot away from the couch and I'm afraid that the speakers will be too close. Another option is to modify this 7.1 setup and instead install two ceiling speakers as top middle or top rear

Please I need your advice on how to properly finish this 7.1 setup. Also, any other advice on how to improve/change this setup will be greatly appreciated.

And happy holidays to you all!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ll come back and read all the words soon. But initially, I would go with two tops over rear surrounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think you're on the right track, I don't think one foot clearance is good enough for rear surrounds unless your seating moves forward.

R

redbirdm

Audiophyte
I think you're on the right track, I don't think one foot clearance is good enough for rear surrounds unless your seating moves forward.
So, top middle ones or top rear? Meaning should I install the ceiling speakers closer to the couch or half way from the screen?

Another question, I'm not really happy with my sub. What replacement would you recommend for this setup? Single/double?

Thanks

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So, top middle ones or top rear? Meaning should I install the ceiling speakers closer to the couch or half way from the screen?

Another question, I'm not really happy with my sub. What replacement would you recommend for this setup? Single/double?

Thanks
I agree that one foot is just too close for rear surrounds. 5-6’ is usually good. Iirc the 3500 is a 7ch AVR, so imo, 5.x.2 is the better choice. IMO you’ll get a better experience with some Atmos vs none. Also. Surrounds that are setup well in a 5.1 system should give a nice immersive experience(depending on the track of course). Rear surrounds will just be distracting if they’re too close.
So if using two tops, they’d be placed above and slightly forward. Like directly above your feet if you sat down, and stuck them out.
What is the budget for. New sub/s? Many great options out there, and any of the recommendations around here will most certainly be an upgrade.
Merry Christmas.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Thanks
Haven't dug into my ceilings yet so really can't comment....but I'd go with William's reco on that score. As to subs how much do you want to spend? Duals would be my recommendation, if not more (depending on room/desires).

R

redbirdm

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Top middle it is for ceiling speakers. Thinking polk audio RC80I.

Regarding the sub I was thinking something ported in a 1K range like SVS PB-2000 Pro or VTF-3 MK5 HP with future upgrade to double em up.

In a room where only half of the room is a listening area with two openings to the other half left and right from the couch, what would be the right strategic placement of subs? (At least a starting point)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Top middle it is for ceiling speakers. Thinking polk audio RC80I.

Regarding the sub I was thinking something ported in a 1K range like SVS PB-2000 Pro or VTF-3 MK5 HP with future upgrade to double em up.

In a room where only half of the room is a listening area with two openings to the other half left and right from the couch, what would be the right strategic placement of subs? (At least a starting point)
In a lager room that looks like it’s on concrete I’d start out by corner loading it. When you get duals, then you can try other placement options. The reason is in the corner, all modes are excited and it’s easier to eq the peaks down to flat.
And no. If using one pair of tops they’d go slightly in front, vs the middle position directly overhead. Set them to top front. Although with a single pair of tops, they all get the same content regardless of what they’re set to.
Both sub choices are good. HSU is probably the value leader on paper. But SVS has the best CS around.

R

redbirdm

Audiophyte
I hate to be pain in the neck but do you have any recommendations for the ceiling speakers? If I stick with polk audio, would it be RC80I or something like 80 F/X-RT (80 F/X-LS)?

Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis