Top Center Channel?

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I have a 9.4.2 (front wides, Atmos heights (front back), rear surrounds and all that other jazz) system running on an Marantz AV10, which can support additional channels. The single channel I'm thinking of implementing, is what Marantz calls a 'top surround channel', I think it's also called the 'voice of God'. Anyway it's a ceiling level speaker located directly above the center listening position.

Does anyone care to comment on whether this is a worthwhile addition, or not?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s a Center height speaker. From reports I’ve seen it’s probably not worth it.
The VOG, voice of god speaker goes directly overhead and it’s for Auro3d.

O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
9 for bed channels, .4 for 4 subs, and ..2 for Atmos. But you say you have front and back Atmos? And 5 subs? So that would be 9.5.4 system. If you have sufficient space between Atmos to fit in middles that might be more universally applicable solution. Otherwise as noted, VOG is for Auro.

Also, having Klipsch centre in one of my systems, if you want upgrade, Revel apparently does make a big bad and really good centre to to with you towers. If I recall they might even have it on pretty good sale somewhere.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
9 for bed channels, .4 for 4 subs, and ..2 for Atmos. But you say you have front and back Atmos? And 5 subs? So that would be 9.5.4 system. If you have sufficient space between Atmos to fit in middles that might be more universally applicable solution. Otherwise as noted, VOG is for Auro.

Also, having Klipsch centre in one of my systems, if you want upgrade, Revel apparently does make a big bad and really good centre to to with you towers. If I recall they might even have it on pretty good sale somewhere.
Maybe I can’t read. I didn’t see a mention of 5 subs. Maybe another thread?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe I can’t read. I didn’t see a mention of 5 subs. Maybe another thread?
He lists 5 subs in his signature detailing his gear. Maybe by .2 he means he's got three hooked up on one sub pre-out and the other two on the other sub pre-out?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a 9.4.2 (front wides, Atmos heights (front back), rear surrounds and all that other jazz) system running on an Marantz AV10, which can support additional channels. The single channel I'm thinking of implementing, is what Marantz calls a 'top surround channel', I think it's also called the 'voice of God'. Anyway it's a ceiling level speaker located directly above the center listening position.

No, not worth it. That is for Auro3D, which is a real mess in my view.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

I like listening to music with the Auro 3D unmixer, auromatic. With the right song it presents a nice HIGH wall of sound. Auromatic also sums the bass from all channels to the front and presents a slight concert hall ambience with the side and back surround channels.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
It’s a Center height speaker. From reports I’ve seen it’s probably not worth it.
The VOG, voice of god speaker goes directly overhead and it’s for Auro3d.
Yeah, this is, as I said directly above, whatever it is called!

Looks like there is little enthusiasm, and it wouldn't be easy to implement, lots of cable routing into and over the wooden ceiling above...

Any other suggestions for additional channels, as a substantive addition?!

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
I like listening to music with the Auro 3D unmixer, auromatic. With the right song it presents a nice HIGH wall of sound. Auromatic also sums the bass from all channels to the front and presents a slight concert hall ambience with the side and back surround channels.
I agree, I'm a big fan of Auro 3D and that's why I was interested in taking it one step further, with the above the seating position ceiling speaker.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic

Maybe I got my numerical parlance wrong, I have 4 Atmos and and yes 5 subs, but they are seen as two (three in one corner and two in the other).

I am aware of the Revel center, which I'm sure is awesome, but I'll have to wait for that. Besides, the Klipsch is mounted from the ceiling above the TV (on a modified TV mount). I'd have to drill holes in the Revel!

O

Oddball

Audioholic Intern
Well you maxed out bed channels on AV-10, so the only remaining pair are top middles. But given how important the centre is, probably would see more bang with the centre upgrade (sorry to mention again :rolleyes: ).

Also, if additional cables are not a problem, independently wiring 4 subs and doing two closest as daisy chain might add some benefit. Distance and phase are set separately per sub, so might be better to set them even more granularly.

P

Paul McNeil

Audioholic
OK, I just realized that I got the title ('Center Height Channel=) for the post wrong...sigh. Should have been
He lists 5 subs in his signature detailing his gear. Maybe by .2 he means he's got three hooked up on one sub pre-out and the other two on the other sub pre-out?
yep

C

chrisbeast

Audiophyte
Roofers in Greenville, NC, are known for their expertise in providing a wide range of roofing services, including installation, repair, and maintenance of residential and commercial roofs. These professionals use high-quality materials and advanced techniques to ensure durable and long-lasting roofing solutions. Whether you need a new roof, shingle replacement, or leak repairs, Greenville's roofing contractors are dedicated to delivering excellent workmanship and customer satisfaction.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Roofers in Greenville, NC, are known for their expertise in providing a wide range of roofing services, including installation, repair, and maintenance of residential and commercial roofs. These professionals use high-quality materials and advanced techniques to ensure durable and long-lasting roofing solutions. Whether you need a new roof, shingle replacement, or leak repairs, Greenville's roofing contractors are dedicated to delivering excellent workmanship and customer satisfaction.
Did North Carolina get electricity yet ?
Asking for a friend who might want to move there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis