B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
Hello, I know the title sounds like blasphemy but hear me out

I got the itch to upgrade my 10" monolith sub to the 15" monolith sub (not the m-215). Roughly 2x the power of the 10"

My question is, would this 15" overpower or drown out my speaker setup?
Running: marantz 5013, emotiva 5 channel 200watt amp, Def tech bp9060 x2, cs9060, sr9040 x2

Thanks!!
(Please be gentle guys lol)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If set up correctly it should play at the exact same volume as the rest of the speakers and the sub you have now. It will be able to play louder and have more authority and accuracy than the sub you have now.
Remember that placement is very important for a sub if you want optimal sound.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
The back of your sub(s) will have gain knobs. Adjust them to the level that works for your room with your listening level and they will not overpower or drown out anything. Unless you want them to.

Very best,

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Only if you set it up that way. Properly set up tho, it'll outperform your current sub for deep bass articulation and headroom. Go for it!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you would be better off getting two 12" from monolith than one big 15" from them. Two subs will give you a better in room response across the listener area but this will also requires a purchase of a miniDSP 2x4HD, buying a measurement microphone such as a UMIK1, and downloading REW onto your laptop and using it. Its a learning curve that I went through but its well worth it. If you have extra cash, then buy a pair of those 15" beasts :) but you will still need REW, a miniDSP and a measurement mic to dial them in properly.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hello, I know the title sounds like blasphemy but hear me out

I got the itch to upgrade my 10" monolith sub to the 15" monolith sub (not the m-215). Roughly 2x the power of the 10"

My question is, would this 15" overpower or drown out my speaker setup?
Running: marantz 5013, emotiva 5 channel 200watt amp, Def tech bp9060 x2, cs9060, sr9040 x2

Thanks!!
(Please be gentle guys lol)
You could use your 10” with the 15” , two 12s will not be more powerful but better distribution of bass.
If two 12” are same price I guess it’s more cone area.49.48 more
15” hits lower notes better

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think you would be better off getting two 12" from monolith than one big 15" from them. Two subs will give you a better in room response across the listener area but this will also requires a purchase of a miniDSP 2x4HD, buying a measurement microphone such as a UMIK1, and downloading REW onto your laptop and using it. Its a learning curve that I went through but its well worth it. If you have extra cash, then buy a pair of those 15" beasts :) but you will still need REW, a miniDSP and a measurement mic to dial them in properly.
I agree 2x12. Also depends on your room size.

B

bomt697

Junior Audioholic
You could use your 10” with the 15” , two 12s will not be more powerful but better distribution of bass.
If two 12” are same price I guess it’s more cone area.49.48 more
15” hits lower notes better
Better distribution of bass would be ideal.
However, would the 2x12" give the same "in your chest visceral" feeling that perhaps a 15" could provide (ie the 2x monolith 12" THX vs monolith 15" THX ultra)?

Should I be looking a other companies? SVS Paradigm Martin Logan?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
One also need to experiment with SW placement as just adding two SW does not necessarily gives a better room response than one SW, or no SW for that matter. REW and UMIK-1 is very handy for this work.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Better distribution of bass would be ideal.
However, would the 2x12" give the same "in your chest visceral" feeling that perhaps a 15" could provide (ie the 2x monolith 12" THX vs monolith 15" THX ultra)?

Should I be looking a other companies? SVS Paradigm Martin Logan?
I don't think a pair of 15s would be too much for your room. A pair of 12s will do a decent job, a pair of 15s will rock that room.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
In your medium size room I'd go 2x12. I think you will be happy. Heck I got two 8(dailed it at 11 o clock) inch on both sides of my couch in small size(10x12) living room and they rock my couch. Star Wars The last jedi was kicking my butt last night! :eek: :eek: :eek: Can you post a pic of your placement?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis